Scientists say smell is the most important sense linked to memory, and it’s not uncommon for scents to unlock long forgotten memories, bringing a tear of nostalgia to your eye. And there's probably nothing that makes you more nostalgic than catching a whiff of our favorite '90s mall smells. Whether it’s the overpowering wall of Abercrombie & Fitch cologne or movie theater popcorn, these are the smells from the mall that make you wish you could turn back time and waste a Saturday hanging out with your friends. Sniff out these memorable smells from the mall and try not to get too misty eyed.If you’re too young to remember what the mall smelled like, then you’re in for a special treat. Collected on this list you’ll find a bevy of stores and smells that totally encompass the world of a true mallrat. Believe it or not, there was a generation of teenagers who looked forward to carousing through their local mall and munching on kiosk food, totally unsupervised by their parents. The nineties truly were a blissful time to be alive. If you were around for those good old days, check out these memorable scents from the mall and see how many are still secretly floating around inside your nose.
The Food CourtA true cacophony of fast food smells to delight your olfactory system.
- 22,141354Oh, those heavenly ovens.
Movie Theater PopcornAn undead, fake butter smell.
- 41,908424Cucumbers and vanilla and sweet pea soap, oh my!
SbarroDistinctive and totally 100% for sure definitely Italian.
The Pretzel KioskDoughy, salty goodness.
The Mall FountainMmmm... chlorine!
- 81,215630What's that scent? Some call it "the three wick surprise."
- 9954616Home of a strange mixture of plastic and sweat.
Arcade TokensMetallic and almost like real money!
PaylessLet fake leather dazzle your nose!
- 12742546There's nothing like the old lady smell of the makeup counter!
- 13821609A mix of clinical odors and rhinestones.
- 141,018773AKA: The Unescapable Wall of Cologne
- 15836667The orange chicken odor sticks to your hair and will be with you all day!
The Christmas StorePine and cinnamon isn't just for December anymore!
Sweet FactoryYou can almost smell the diabetes!
- 18796776The original chicken scent.
The Parking LotAsphalt in summer: it's what childhood dreams are made of.
- 20469641The grown-up scent of wardrobe basics.
B. DaltonIs there anything that smells better than a new book?
Regis SalonA mysterious mix of hairspray and desperation.
Corn Dog 7Let the fry oil waft over you.
The Mall Massage Chairs
When faux-leather meets all the local dads waiting for moms to finish up in Sephora.
The Freshly Waxed Tile FloorAin't nothin' like fresh wax!