List of the members of the Whitney family, listed alphabetically with photos when available. This list includes the names of each famous person in the Whitney family, along with information like where each person was born. If you're doing research on historic members of the Whitney family, then this list is the perfect jumping off point for finding out which notable people are included. The Whitney family has held prominence in the world dating back many years, so it's no wonder that many people have a fascination with its members. While this is not an exact family tree, it does show a list of many popular members of the Whitney family.
A list made up of family members like Eli Whitney and Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney.The information on this page of prominent Whitney family members can help answer the questions, “Who was in the Whitney family?” and "Who is part of the Whitney family?
- Cornelius Vanderbilt "Sonny" Whitney (February 20, 1899 – December 13, 1992) was an American businessman, film producer, writer, philanthropist, polo player, and government official, as well as the owner of a stable of thoroughbred racehorses.... more
- Age: Dec. at 93 (1899-1992)
- Birthplace: Roslyn, New York
- William Payne Whitney (March 20, 1876 – May 25, 1927) was an American businessman and member of the influential Whitney family. His will included funds to expand the New York Hospital, now called NewYork–Presbyterian Hospital, where the Payne Whitney Psychiatric Clinic was established.... more
- Age: Dec. at 51 (1876-1927)
- Birthplace: New York City, New York
- Joan Whitney Payson (February 5, 1903 – October 4, 1975) was an American heiress, businesswoman, philanthropist, patron of the arts and art collector, and a member of the prominent Whitney family. She was also co-founder and majority owner of Major League Baseball's New York Mets baseball franchise, and was the first woman to own a major-league team in North America without inheriting it.... more
- Age: Dec. at 72 (1903-1975)
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America
- John Hay "Jock" Whitney (August 17, 1904 – February 8, 1982) was U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom, publisher of the New York Herald Tribune, and president of the Museum of Modern Art. He was a member of the Whitney family.... more
- Age: Dec. at 77 (1904-1982)
- Birthplace: Ellsworth, Maine