Chronological list of the 100 best soul albums ever released, compiled by the editors of Mojo Magazine. Running from the late 1950s through the year 2000, this list gathers together the best work from the greatest soul artists of all time into one convenient rundown, allowing you to browse and discover a diverse collection of this stirring music.
Soul music combines traditional American gospel and rhythm & blues (R&B) style, collecting catchy hooks, heavy improvisation and a tense vocal sound. The music has become synonymous around the world with "funk" as well as deep emotional expression. Top soul artists include Ray Charles, James Brown (known as the "Godfather of Soul"), Sam Cooke, Solomon Burke, Aretha Franklin and Etta James.
Originally published by Mojo Magazine, this list contains the Top 100 Best Soul Albums ever released. For ease of browsing, the albums are listed chronologically by release date.What are the best soul albums of all time and the best soul records? Take a look here and see for yourself on this list of classic soul albums.
- Ray Charles, Released in 1959
- Ray Charles, Released in 1960
- Bobby Blue Bland, Released in 1962
- Sam Cooke, Released in 1963
- Sam Cooke, Released in 1964
- Jackie Wilson, Released in 1964
- Solomon Burke, Released in 1964
- Garnet Mimms And The Enchaners, Released in 1964
- The Drifters, Released in 1964
- Dionne Warwick, Released in 1964
- Smokey Robinson And The Miracles, Released in 1965
- The Four Tops, Released in 1966
- Sam And Dave, Released in 1966
- Mitty Collier, Released in 1966
- Aretha Franklin, Released in 1967
- Howard Tate, Released in 1967
- James Carr, Released in 1967
- Etta James, Released in 1968
- Aretha Franklin, Released in 1968
- Jerry Butler, Released in 1969