List of Mormons in sport, and notable or famous Mormon athletes. These Mormon sports stars come from a variety of different sports and disciplines, including football, car racing, martial arts, rugby, track and field, swimming and hockey. Though Mormonism is a religion most closely associated with the United States, a number of Mormons play for international teams, including a number of professional rugby players in Australia and New Zealand. Many Mormon athletes have been recognized for their physical prowess and athletic achievements, including Merlin Olsen, a Hall of Fame defensive tackle for the NFL's Los Angeles Rams, first Mr. Olympia Larry Scott and heavyweight boxing champion Jack Dempsey. Perhaps most significantly, famed 49ers quarterback Steve Young is a Mormon and a direct descendant of LDS movement leader and former president Brigham Young.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (sometimes known simply as the LDS Church or the Mormon Church) is the largest denomination in the "Latter Day Saint Movement" inspired by the message of Joseph Smith. The church currently claims 14.1 million adherents around the world, with 50,000 missionaries currently serving worldwide. The church models its teachings and organizations on Joseph Smith's original Church of Christ, founded in 1830.
The Mormon culture that raised and inspired these athletes is also distinctive in many ways, both because of the geographical center of Mormonism in the Intermountain West and the family-oriented worldview of the church itself. For example, Mormonism's health and legal code, known as the "Word of Wisdom," prohibits the use of tobacco, alcohol, caffeine and other addictive substances.Who are famous Mormon athletes? Take a look here and see for yourself.
- Baseball player, Washington NationalsBryce Aron Max Harper (born October 16, 1992) is an American professional baseball right fielder for the Philadelphia Phillies of Major League Baseball (MLB). He played in MLB for the Washington ...more
- Football player, QuarterbackJon Steven Young (born October 11, 1961) is a former professional American football quarterback who played 15 seasons in the National Football League (NFL) and is best known for his 13 seasons with ...more
- Boxer, heavyweight boxing championWilliam Harrison "Jack" Dempsey (June 24, 1895 – May 31, 1983), nicknamed "Kid Blackie" and "The Manassa Mauler", was an American professional boxer who competed from 1914 to 1927, and reigned as the ...more
- GolferWilliam Earl Casper, Jr. was an American professional golfer who was one of the most prolific tournament winners on the PGA Tour from the mid-1950s to the mid-1970s. Casper started as a caddie in his ...more
- Basketball player, Boston Celtics, Phoenix Suns, Portland Trail Blazers and Sacramento KingsDaniel Ray Ainge (born March 17, 1959) is an American basketball executive and former professional basketball and baseball player. Ainge is currently the general manager and President of Basketball ...more
- Basketball player, BYU Cougars and Sacramento KingsJames Taft Fredette (born February 25, 1989) is an American professional basketball player for Panathinaikos of the Greek Basket League and the EuroLeague. Fredette was the 2011 National Player of ...more
- Rugby player, Parramatta EelsKrisnan Nevada Inu (born 17 March 1987) is a professional rugby league footballer who plays as a centre or winger for the Salford Red Devils in the Betfred Super League. He has played for both New ...more
- Basketball player, CroatiaKrešimir "Krešo" Ćosić (Croatian pronunciation: [krěʃimir t͡ɕɔ̌ːsit͡ɕ]; 26 November 1948 – 25 May 1995) was a Croatian professional basketball player and coach. He was a collegiate All-American at ...more
- Baseball player, Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia PhilliesHarry Leroy "Roy" Halladay III (May 14, 1977 – November 7, 2017), was an American professional baseball player who pitched for the Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia Phillies between 1998 and 2013. ...more
- Rugby player, Brisbane BroncosBenjamin Hannant (born 31 December 1984) is an Australian rugby league footballer who plays for the Burleigh Bears in the Intrust Super Cup. A Queensland State of Origin and Australian international ...more
- Boxer, middleweight boxing championLawrence Gene Fullmer (July 21, 1931 – April 27, 2015) was an American professional boxer and World Middleweight champion.
- Football player, Hall of Fame, defensive tackle, Los Angeles Rams.Merlin Jay Olsen (; September 15, 1940 – March 11, 2010) was an American football player, announcer, and actor. He played his entire 15-year professional football career in National Football League ...more
- Baseball player, Minnesota TwinsHarmon Clayton Killebrew, Jr.(; June 29, 1936 – May 17, 2011), nicknamed "The Killer" and "Hammerin' Harmon", was an American professional baseball first baseman, third baseman, and left fielder. ...more
- Snowboarder, 2007 X Games gold medalist and 2010 Winter Olympics Gold medalistTorah Jane Bright (born 27 December 1986) is an Australian professional snowboarder. She is Australia's most successful Winter Olympian, former Olympic gold and silver medalist, two time X Games gold ...more
- Baseball player, Oakland AthleticsDennis Lee Eckersley (born October 3, 1954), nicknamed "Eck", is an American former professional baseball pitcher. Between 1975 and 1998, he pitched in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Cleveland ...more
- Basketball player, New Jersey Nets and Dallas MavericksShawn Paul Bradley (born March 22, 1972) is a German-American former basketball player who played center for the Philadelphia 76ers, New Jersey Nets, and Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball ...more
- Football player, Wide Receiver, Indianapolis ColtsAustin Kirk Collie (born November 11, 1985) is a former American football wide receiver. He was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL) in the fourth round (127th ...more
- Football player, Quarterback Washington RedskinsJohn Dalton Beck (born August 21, 1981) is a former American football quarterback. Beck played college football at Brigham Young University, and was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the second round ...more
- Baseball player, Detroit TigersJohn Scott Morris (born May 16, 1955) is an American former professional baseball starting pitcher. He is a color commentator for the Detroit Tigers on Fox Sports Detroit. He played in Major League ...more
- Basketball player, Phoenix SunsThomas Doane Chambers (born June 21, 1959) is an American retired National Basketball Association (NBA) player. Having a strong shot along with high-flying dunks, Chambers played professionally from ...more
- Track and field athlete, won gold in track and field in the 1912 Summer OlympicsAlma Wilford Richards (February 20, 1890 – April 3, 1963) was an American athlete. He was the first resident of Utah to win a gold medal at the Olympic Games, in 1912, in the running high jump event.
- Volleyball player, 2008 OlympianRichard Edward "Rich" Lambourne (born May 6, 1975) is an American indoor volleyball player. He joined the U.S. men's national team in 2000 as the designated libero. He has recently played for Delecta ...more
- Beach volleyball playerJacob "Jake" Spiker Gibb (born February 6, 1976) is an American professional beach volleyball player, who currently plays on the AVP Tour with Taylor Crabb as his partner. Gibb and Casey Patterson ...more
- Football player, Head Coach, Philadelphia EaglesAndrew Walter Reid (born March 19, 1958) is an American football head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League (NFL). Reid was previously the head coach of the Philadelphia ...more
- 2000 Gold medalistRulon E. Gardner (born August 16, 1971) is an American retired Greco-Roman Olympic Gold Medalist wrestler. He competed at the 2000 and 2004 Olympics and won the gold medal in 2000, defeating Russia's ...more