The Most Beautiful Castles in France
List of the most beautiful castles in France, as ranked by Francophiles and castle lovers from all over the world. The chateaux of France are among the most breathtaking in the world. While many of the world’s castles were built with defense in mind, the grand architectural wonders that reside with France’s borders were more often than not about elegance and luxury. Royalty, including centuries of kings, dukes, and earls, often owned multiple castles in France for residence, hunting lodges, and a place to entertain visitors. Napoleon Bonaparte often commandeered and built castles on behalf of his most trusted allies.
The castles in France that still stand or have been renovated are known for their beauty, with large, lush gardens and impressive architecture. Many of the chateaus in France are available to be toured by the public and are massive tourist attractions. Some of these castles have become museums, but many more have been passed on through generations to be used as private residences.
What are the most beautiful castles in France? Which French chateau is your favorite? The castles on this list are the best of the best that France has to offer.
- 184 VOTESChateau de Chambord was built for King Francis I as a hunting lodge.
- Located In: Chambord, Loir-et-Cher
- 250 VOTES
Chateau De FontainebleauPhoto: Phil Grondin / flickr / CC-BY-ND 2.0The Chateau de Fontainebleau once served as a royal hunting park.
- 374 VOTESPhoto: Marc Poppleton / flickr / CC-BY-NC-ND 2.0Chateau de Chenonceau belonged to Diane de Poitiers, King Henry II's mistress for many years.
- Located In: Chenonceaux
- 461 VOTESPhoto: Metaweb / CC-BYThe Palace of Versailles began as a hunting lodge for Louis XIII, but expanded over the years to become one of the biggest castles in the world.
- Located In: France , Versailles
- 552 VOTESPhoto: yngwiemanux / flickr / CC-BY-NC 2.0Chateau de Pierrefonds was once renovated by Napoleon Bonaparte.
- Located In: Pierrefonds, Oise
- 641 VOTES
Château de ChaumontPhoto: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYChateau de Chaumont was built to protect Blois from attacks in the 10th century.
- Located In: Chaumont-sur-Loire