The Most Beautiful Catholic Churches
List of the most beautiful Catholic churches in the world,as ranked by admirers of amazing architecture. Regardless of your religious beliefs and affiliation, anyone can appreciate Catholic churches for their accomplishments in architecture. Every continent in the world is overflowing with some of the most elegant, visually stunning churches in existence. Some of these churches have been standing, in some form or another, for thousands of years, while others are modern additions to the Catholic world. While many of these churches are built with a traditional gothic style, some of the most unique churches on this list are original feats in architecture.
Whether or not you’re a member of the Catholic faith, the Catholic Churches of the world are definitely worth visiting. Sometimes the location of the cathedral or parish makes it all the more amazing, like Arizona’s Church in the Rock and Colombia’s Las Lajas Cathedral which is built over a cliff. St.Basil’s Cathedral is one of the oldest and most recognizable churches, famousfor its colorful domes. Modern structures like Cathedral of Maringa and Cadet Chapel are known for their memorable appearances.What are the most beautiful Catholic cathedrals in the world? From churches in the U.S. to Ethiopia, the structures on this list are the most striking Catholic institutions in the world.
- 1758 VOTESPhoto: diana_robinson / flickr / CC-BY-NC-ND 2.0St. Peter's Basilica is located in Vatican City and is the location of Saint Peter's tomb.
- Located In: Rome, Italy
- 2690 VOTESPhoto: nebojsa mladjenovic / FlickrConstruction on Notre Dame de Paris began in 1160, with gargoyles built into the rainwater gutter system.
- Located In: Île de la Cité, Paris, France
- 3658 VOTES
St. Mark's Basilica of VenicePhoto: -Reji / flickr / CC-BY-NC-ND 2.0St. Mark's Basilica is one of the oldest churches in the world, with year 828 AD as the original building time.
- 4573 VOTESSanta Maria del Fiore (Florence Cathedral) was began building in 1296 and took over a hundred years to complete.
- Located In: Florence, Italy
- 5572 VOTES
Las Lajas SanctuaryPhoto: Christian Photographer / flickr / CC-BY-NC-ND 2.0Las Lajas Sanctuary is located within a canyon of the Guaitara River in Colombia.
- 6372 VOTES
St. Vinzenz ChurchPhoto: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYLocated in Austria, St. Vinzenz Church may have once had a relic with the Blood of Christ.