Bon Appétit! Ever wonder who the most influential chefs of all time are? Sure, super chefs Bobby Flay, Gordon Ramsay, and other famous TV chefs can be considered some of the best, but are they the most influential? Maybe for their time, yet they may be nowhere when it comes to cooking if it wasn't for some of the top world chefs before them. In other words, the chefs to follow were largely important in creating and exploring a great deal of dishes and cuisines, changing the way chefs approach food, as well as how we eat.
While many of these renown chefs still grace the world with their delicious plates, others have since passed, leaving their great contributions behind for all of us to enjoy. From Frenchman Alexis Soyer to the award-winning Thomas Keller, these important chefs had a huge influence on a broad range of dishes, and they set the standard for chefs across the world. But who's the most influential chef ever?
Check out the list of top chefs in history below and be sure to vote up whoever you think had the greatest influence on food as we know it today. You can also vote chefs down and add any missing ones to the list.
- Gordon James Ramsay (born 8 November 1966) is a British chef, restaurateur, writer, television personality and food critic. He was born in Johnstone, Scotland, and raised in Stratford-upon-Avon, ...more
- Joël Robuchon (French pronunciation: [ʒɔɛl ʁɔbyʃɔ̃], 7 April 1945 – 6 August 2018) was a French chef and restaurateur. He was named "Chef of the Century" by the guide Gault Millau in 1989, and ...more
- Georges Auguste Escoffier (French: [ʒɔʁʒ oɡyst ɛskɔfje]; 28 October 1847 – 12 February 1935) was a French chef, restaurateur and culinary writer who popularized and updated traditional French cooking ...more
- Marco Pierre White (born 11 December 1961) is a British chef, restaurateur, and television personality. White has been dubbed the first celebrity chef, and the enfant terrible of the UK restaurant ...more
- Julia Carolyn Child (née McWilliams; August 15, 1912 – August 13, 2004) was an American chef, author and television personality. She is recognized for bringing French cuisine to the American public ...more
- Alain Ducasse (French: [alɛ̃ dykas]; born 13 September 1956) is a French-born Monégasque chef. He operates a number of restaurants including Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester which holds three stars ...more
- Ferran Adrià Acosta (born May 14, 1962) (Catalan pronunciation: [fəˈran əðɾiˈa]) is a Spanish chef. He was the head chef of the elBulli restaurant in Roses on the Costa Brava and is considered one of ...more
- Anthony Michael Bourdain (; June 25, 1956 – June 8, 2018) was an American celebrity chef, author, and travel documentarian who starred in programs focusing on the exploration of international ...more
- Jacques Pépin French pronunciation: [ʒak pepɛ̃] (born December 18, 1935) is a French–American chef, television personality, and author. Since the late 1980s, he has appeared on French and American ...more
- Thomas Keller (born October 14, 1955) is an American chef, restaurateur, and cookbook writer. He and his landmark Napa Valley restaurant, The French Laundry in Yountville, California, have won ...more
- Heston Marc Blumenthal OBE (; born 27 May 1966) is a British celebrity chef. He is the proprietor of The Fat Duck in Bray, Berkshire, one of five restaurants in Great Britain to have three Michelin ...more
- Pierre Gagnaire (born 9 April 1950 in Apinac, Loire) is a French chef, and the head chef and owner of the eponymous Pierre Gagnaire restaurant at 6 rue Balzac in Paris (in the 8th arrondissement). ...more
- Yoshihiro Murata is an author.
- René Redzepi (born 16 December 1977) is a Danish chef and co-owner of the two-Michelin star restaurant Noma in the Christianshavn neighborhood of Copenhagen, Denmark. His restaurant was voted the ...more
- David Chang (Korean: Chang Seok-ho 장석호; born August 5, 1977) is an American restaurateur, author, and television personality. He is the founder of the Momofuku restaurant group, which includes ...more
- Nobuyuki "Nobu" Matsuhisa (松久 信幸 Matsuhisa Nobuyuki; born March 10, 1949) is a Japanese celebrity chef and restaurateur known for his fusion cuisine blending traditional Japanese dishes with Peruvian ...more
- Daniel Boulud (born 25 March 1955 in Saint-Pierre-de-Chandieu) is a French chef and restaurateur with restaurants in New York City, Boston, Washington, D.C., Palm Beach, Miami, Toronto, Montréal, ...more
- Fernand Point (25 February 1897 – 4 March 1955) was a French chef and restaurateur and is considered to be the father of modern French cuisine. He founded the restaurant La Pyramide in Vienne near ...more
- Marie Antoine (Antonin) Carême (French: [maʁi ɑ̃twan kaʁɛm]; 8 June 1784 – 12 January 1833) was a French chef and an early practitioner and exponent of the elaborate style of cooking known as grande ...more
- Alexis Benoît Soyer (4 February 1810 – 5 August 1858) was a French chef who became the most celebrated cook in Victorian England. He also tried to alleviate suffering of the Irish poor in the Great ...more
- Joan Roca i Fontané is a chef of the restaurant El Celler de Can Roca. He studied in Escola d'Hosteleria de Girona, where later he became a teacher. He worked with his grandparents and parents in ...more
- Charles "Charlie" Trotter was an American chef and restaurateur. ...more
- Martín Berasategui Olazábal is a Spanish chef expert in Basque cuisine and owner of an eponymous restaurant in Lasarte-Oria (Gipuzkoa), Spain, which has been awarded three Michelin stars since 2001. ...more
- Jean-Louis Palladin was a multiple JBF Awards nominee for Outstanding Restaurant.
- Lidia Giuliana Matticchio Bastianich (Italian: [ˈliːdja matˈtikkjo baˈstjaːnitʃ]; born in Pula, February 21, 1947) is an Italian-American celebrity chef, television host, author, and restaurateur. ...more