In honor of all those who weren't able to make it to the summit, here's a list of people who died during their quest to reach the top of Mt. Everest. Mount Everest is the highest mountain on earth and many mountain climbers have died attempting the climb; hoping to stand on top of the world. At 8,848m, Mount Everest is the tallest mountain of the world's fourteen 8,000m peaks and a killer for fatal mountain climbing attempts. Till now there have been 1,924 ascents of Mount Everest and around 179 mountaineers have died in these killer peaks. A blind man has stood on the summit; snowboarders have dared direct descents down her steepest slopes. With all these mountaineering adventures, surprisingly, the death toll of mountain climbers has decreased over the years.
- Dec. at 38 (1886-1924)Disappeared; body found in 1999; evidence suggests Mallory died from being accidentally struck by his ice axe following a fall. 1924, age 37, from the United Kingdom.
- Dec. at 36 (1965-2001)Fall, 2001, age 35, from Napal.
David SharpDec. at 34 (1972-2006)Exposure and exhaustion, 2006, age 34, from the United Kingdom. His death caused a controversy, because many climbers saw that he was dying and refused to help him, because they were in such a hurry to get to the summit.
- Dec. at 32 (1950-1982)Cause of death unknown, 1982, age 31, from the United Kingdom.
- Dec. at 41 (1955-1996)High Altitude Cerebral Odema, exhaustion, frostbite, and exposure, 1996, age 40, from the United States.
- Dec. at 35 (1961-1996)Exposure, 1996, age 35, from New Zealand.
- Dec. at 22 (1902-1924)Body disappeared; never found. Cause of death unknown. 1924, age 22, from the United Kingdom.
Francys ArsentievDec. at 40 (1958-1998)Exposure and cerebral oedema, 1998, age 40, from the United States. Got separated fromher husband, Sergei, and went looking for him. They both died.
- Dec. at 36 (1898-1934)Body found 1935; cause of death possibly exhaustion, exposure or starvation. 1934, age 36, from the United Kingdom.
- Dec. at 34 (1948-1982)Disappearance, 1982, age 33, from the United Kingdom.
Pasang Lhamu SherpaDec. at 22 (1961-1983)Disappeared, 1993, from Nepal.
Hristo ProdanovDec. at 41 (1943-1984)Disappeared on the way down the mountain, 1984, age 40, from Bulgaria.
- Dec. at 47 (1949-1996)Exposure, 1996, age 47, from Japan.
Ray GenetDec. at 48 (1931-1979)Exposure and exhaustion, 1979, age 48, from the United States.
Vitor NegreteDec. at 39 (1967-2006)Exposure and exhaustion, 2006, age 38, from Brazil.
- Age: 491011 May 1996
- Fall, 1993, age 43, from Nepal. Bhutia was participating in the 40th anniversary of Tenzing Norgay's climb.
Jozef PsotkaDec. at 50 (1934-1984)Fall, 1984, age 50, from Czechoslovakia.
Tony TigheAge: 93Crushed under serac, 1972, from Australia
Marko LihtenekerDec. at 46 (1959-2005)Cause of death unknown, 2005, age 45, from Slovenia.
Dimitar Ilievski - MuratoDec. at 36 (1953-1989)Fall, 1989, Yugoslavia.
- Zygmunt Andrzej Heinrich (21 July 1937 in Łbowo, central Poland – 27 May 1989 in Mount... more
Andrzej HeinrichDec. at 52 (1937-1989)
Marty HoeyDec. at 31 (1951-1982)Fall, 1982, age 30, from the United States.
- Dec. at 39 (1940-1979)Exposure, exhaustion, 1979, age 39, from Germany. Her body remained on the trail for several years before being swept over the side of the Kangshung Face. Attempts were made to rescue her body after death, but those who tried to secure her remains ultimately lost their lives as well.
Thomas WeberAge: 70Altitude sickness, 2006, from Germany.