Middle age romance between older people in the movies can often be richer than young love. Adult couples have had more time to realize their own romantic needs — and more time to gain complicated, and entertaining baggage. The best movies about older couples find the lead characters discovering new things about themselves and each other. This is a list of the best mature couple romance movies including everything from Mamma Mia! to What Women Want to The Bridges of Madison County.
What romantic comedies will you find on this list of the best mature love stories? Maybe you'll vote As Good As It Gets to the very top. Both Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt took home Oscars for their roles in this unlikely love story directed by the great James L. Brooks. Last Chance Harvey – starring Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson – is another great movie about older couple romance. Meryl Streep found herself in a love triangle with Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin in the 2009 movie It's Complicated. Other good films featured here include Hope Springs, The Love Punch, and Danny Collins.
Which of these romcoms deserves the number one spot on this list? That's up to you to decide. Give your favorite flicks a thumbs up, and please add any great films that are missing.
- When aging womanizer Harry Sanborn (Jack Nicholson) and his young girlfriend, Marin (Amanda Peet), arrive at her family's beach house in the Hamptons, they find that her mother, dramatist Erica Barry ...more
- The American President is a 1995 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Rob Reiner and written by Aaron Sorkin. The film stars Michael Douglas, Annette Bening, Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox ...more
- Jane (Meryl Streep), a successful restaurateur, has been divorced from Jake (Alec Baldwin) for many years, although they remain friends. When an innocent meal together turns into an affair, Jane ...more
- Eva (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), a divorced single parent, seems generally happy but dreads her daughter's departure for college. Unexpectedly, Eva begins a romance with Albert (James Gandolfini), a nice ...more
- John Gustafson (Jack Lemmon) and Max Goldman (Walter Matthau) are two curmudgeonly neighbors who have been at each other's throats for years. The rivalry of the former friends intensifies when Ariel ...more
- As Good as It Gets is a 1997 American romantic comedy film directed by James L. Brooks and produced by Laura Ziskin. It stars Jack Nicholson as a misanthropic, homophobic, racist, ...more
- Mamma Mia! is a 2008 British/American/Swedish musical/romantic comedy film adapted from the 1999 West End/2001 Broadway musical of the same name, based on the songs of successful pop group ABBA, with ...more
- Despite having a great career and a loving family, lawyer John Clark (Richard Gere) is missing something in his life as he meanders listlessly from day to day. On his commute back home one night, ...more
- The Intern is a 2015 American comedy-drama film directed by Nancy Meyers. Seventy-year-old widower Ben Whittaker (Robert De Niro) becomes a senior intern at an online fashion site, founded and run by ...more
- Bunny Watson (Katharine Hepburn) is a library reference clerk stuck in a dead-end relationship with a boring television executive (Gig Young). Her life is thrown into turmoil when computer expert ...more
- Meet the Fockers is a 2004 American comedy film directed by Jay Roach and the sequel to Meet the Parents. The film stars Robert De Niro, Ben Stiller, Dustin Hoffman, Barbra Streisand, Blythe Danner ...more
- Cantankerous retiree Norman Thayer (Henry Fonda) and his conciliatory wife, Ethel (Katharine Hepburn), spend summers at their New England vacation home on the shores of idyllic Golden Pond. This ...more
- A moving love story about a photographer on assignment to shoot the historic bridges of Madison County. He meets a housewife, whose husband and children are away on a trip, and the film traces a ...more
- Senior Moment is a 2021 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Giorgio Serafini. After drag racing his vintage convertible around Palm Springs, a retired NASA test pilot loses his license. ...more
- Love Is All You Need is a 2012 Danish romantic comedy film directed by Susanne Bier and starring Pierce Brosnan and Trine Dyrholm.
- Realizing that he needs a mother -- and his widower father, Tom (Glenn Ford), needs a wife -- precocious Eddie Corbett (Ron Howard) is determined to get his dad remarried. While Tom dates numerous ...more
- Our Souls at Night is a 2017 American drama film directed by Ritesh Batra. A widow (Jane Fonda) tries to make a connection with her widower neighbor (Robert Redford).
- The Age of Adaline is a 2015 American romance fantasy film about a woman (Blake Lively) who stops aging after an accident at the age of 29. It was directed by Lee Toland Krieger and written by J. ...more
- The Tomorrow Man is a 2019 American drama film, written and directed by Noble Jones. A man (John Lithgow) preparing for the apocalypse meets and falls in love with a woman (Blythe Danner) who is a ...more
- Hope Springs is a 2012 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by David Frankel, written by Vanessa Taylor, and starring Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones and Steve Carell. The film was released on ...more
- Shirley Valentine is a one-character play by Willy Russell. Taking the form of a monologue by a middle-aged, working class Liverpool housewife, it focuses on her life before and after a transforming ...more
- The Wife is a 2018 drama film directed by Björn Runge, based on the novel by Meg Wolitzer. A wife (Glenn Close) questions her life choices as she travels to Stockholm with her husband (Jonathan ...more
- When Kate (Meg Ryan) learns that her fiance, Charlie (Timothy Hutton), has become smitten with a young Parisian woman, she boards a plane for France. She is seated next to Luc (Kevin Kline), a ...more
- Just Getting Started is a 2017 American action comedy film directed by Ron Shelton. An ex-FBI agent (Tommy Lee Jones) and an ex-mob lawyer in the witness protection program (Morgan Freeman) must put ...more
- Private Life is a 2018 American drama film directed by Tamara Jenkins. An author (Kathryn Hahn) is undergoing multiple fertility therapies to get pregnant, putting her relationship with her husband ...more