List of popular movies from Ethiopia, listed by popularity with movie trailers when available. All prominent movies shot in Ethiopia are included. This list of famous films made in Ethiopia includes additional information about the movies, such as who directed them and what genre they are. Any top rated movies made in Ethiopia should appear on this list, with the most well-known ones at the top. The most popular cinema of Ethiopia is included below, so if you see a movie that's missing then it probably isn't very well-known.This list has a variety of movies, like A Walk to Beautiful and The Athlete, in it. This list answers the questions What movies were shot in Ethiopia?"
Running the streets of Rome in 1960, an unknown, barefooted Ethiopian man stunned the world by winning Olympic gold in the marathon. Overnight, Abebe Bikila became a sports legend. A hero in his own ...more
- Released: 2009
- Directed by: Rasselas Lakew, Davey Frankel
Teza is a 2008 Ethiopian drama film about the Derg period in Ethiopia. Teza won the top award at the 2009 Panafrican Film and Television Festival of Ouagadougou. The film was directed and written by ...more
- Released: 2008
- Directed by: Haile Gerima
- Motherland is a 2010 independent documentary film directed and written by Owen 'Alik Shahadah. Motherland is the sequel to the multi-award winning film 500 Years Later.
Africa: Blood and Beauty is a 2012 documentary directed by Sergey Yastrzhembsky.
- Released: 2012
- Directed by: Sergey Yastrzhembsky
La Bohème is a 2009 short film from directed by Werner Herzog. The four-minute film features images of harsh life in Ethiopia set to "O Soave Fanciulla" from the opera La Bohème. It was part of a ...more
- Released: 2009
- Directed by: Werner Herzog
- Mirt Sost Shi Amit is a 1976 Ethiopian film directed by Haile Gerima.
- Imperfect Journey is a 1994 Ethiopian documentary film directed by Haile Gerima.
- Adwa - An African Victory is a 1999 Ethiopian documentary film directed by Haile Gerima. It concerns the Battle of Adowa.
- A Walk to Beautiful is a 2007 American documentary film produced and distributed by Engel Entertainment about women who suffer from childbirth injuries in Ethiopia. In 2007, it premiered in film ...more
- Janapar is a 2012 documentary film directed by James Newton.
Where Is My Dog? is a 2010 short comedy film directed by Miguel Llansó and Yohannes Feleke.
- Released: 2010
- Directed by: Miguel Llansó, Yohannes Feleke
- Memoirs of a Plague is a 2010 documentary film written and directed by Robert Nugent.
- Just For One Day is an Ethiopian 2008 short documentary film.
- Released: 2009
- Directed by: Nancy Durrell McKenna, John Howarth
- "Ethiopia suffers from some of the worst environmental damage the world has ever seen. Over-deforestation has left tracts of land in ruin—driving away animals, sapping the ground of nutrients, and ...more
- Lezare is a 2009 film.
- Menged is a 2006 short film written and directed by Daniel Taye Workou.
- Mother: Caring for 7 Billion is a 2011 documentary film directed by Christophe Fauchere.
- Blood is Not Fresh Water is an Ethiopian film, made in 1997 and directed by Theo Eshetu.
- My Name Is Feker is a 2011 short biographical documentary film directed by Orlando von Einsiedel.
- The Hidden Smile is a 2012 short drama film written by Ventura Durall, Miguel Llansó and directed by Ventura Durall.
- Correspondence is a 2011 documentary short film directed by Robert Fenz.
- Sister is a 2012 documentary drama film directed by Brenda Davis.
- Town of Runners is a 2012 sports documentary film directed by Jerry Rothwell.