A gavel pounds, a bailiff escorts in a defiant or ashamed defendant, jury members stare earnestly, and sharply dressed lawyers pontificate with the eloquence of Roman orators. These scenes and scenes are the gist of the best law films or TV shows, and most people have their favorites, including lawyers themselves.
Attorneys and other legal professionals from the /r/law subreddits on Reddit have shared their favorite courtroom thrillers, comedies, and even a few movies that a jury wouldn't unanimously consider "law film" material. Lawyers on Reddit like talking about their nastiest cases, but they take a more upbeat timeout to share their top law movies. Verdict? That's not unanimous either - except maybe for a favorite film starring Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei.
- Photo: 20th Century Fox
From Redditor /u/wagwa2001l:
My Cousin Vinny is the best legal movie ever made...
From Redditor /u/Cpt_duo:
If I had a week to live I would totally use Vinny's opening argument: "Everything that guy just said is bullsh*t. Thank you."
From Redditor /u/Reallypablo:
Most accurate movie I've seen from the legal perspective.
- Actors: Marisa Tomei, Joe Pesci, Ralph Macchio, Fred Gwynne, James Rebhorn
- Released: 1992
- Directed by: Jonathan Lynn
- Photo: Universal Pictures
From Redditor /u/OriginalStomper:
I get chills whenever I see that scene at the end of the trial, with all the people in the balcony standing up for Atticus Finch.
- Actors: Robert Duvall, Gregory Peck, William Windom, Alice Ghostley, Brock Peters
- Released: 1962
- Directed by: Robert Mulligan
- Photo: United Artists
From Redditor /u/lansun:
I just watched it yesterday after googling it and learning [US Supreme Court Justice Sonia] Sotomayor attributed the movie as the reason why she pursued law.
- Actors: Henry Fonda, Jack Klugman, Lee J. Cobb, Martin Balsam, Jack Warden
- Released: 1957
- Directed by: Sidney Lumet
- Photo: Warner Bros.
From Redditor /u/Ickulus:
[I]t is certainly not the best movie ever. Still though, it gets me fired up to fight for someone no matter what other people think of them.
- Actors: Sandra Bullock, Matthew McConaughey, Kevin Spacey, Samuel L. Jackson, Ashley Judd
- Released: 1996
- Directed by: Joel Schumacher