What is the best movie to watch after being dumped? You’ve been dumped, that’s probably why you’re here. Don’t worry: you are not alone. Maybe you’re already looking to move on, or perhaps you’re still in sweatpants, surrounded by Ben and Jerry’s Hazed and Confused. Either way, this is the perfect place to start your journey to happiness. Movies can be the elixir to whatever ails us. These are the best movies to watch to get over a breakup.
Getting over heartache is not easy. The various films on this list serve several different purposes. Some movies are for the beginning stages of a breakup. Perhaps we’re not quite ready to move on, and all we want to do is cry. Look no further than classic weepies like Beaches and Steel Magnolias.
Then, there are the movies like (500) Days of Summer and Silver Linings Playbook that give us hope that there are more fish in the sea. We will meet someone else who is just as spectacular, or with any luck, even better than our ex.
Need some inspiration? How about a good underdog story? Rudy and Rocky will make you raise your arms in glory. If little Rudy Ruettiger can actually get on the field for a football game at Notre Dame, think about what you can do.
Also on this helpful list are the movies that are just there to make us laugh. Heck, Old School may even inspire you to get off the couch and go streaking in the quad.Be sure to upvote for your favorite movies to get over a breakup. Don’t see the film that helped you move on? Feel free to add it to the list.
- 5559The Notebook is a 2004 American romantic drama film directed by Nick Cassavetes and based on... more
- 3028Jerry Maguire is a 1996 American romantic comedy-drama sports film written, produced and... more
- 2523Watch for Free with Amazon Prime Free TrialThis film is a 1996 comedy-drama film about the lives of single, unemployed actors living on... more
- 2524Steel Magnolias is a 1989 American comedy-drama film directed by Herbert Ross, based on the... more
- 2829Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, or simply Anchorman, is a 2004 comedy film directed by... more
- 51City Slickers is a 1991 American western comedy film directed by Ron Underwood and starring... more
- 1923Lovely and Amazing is a 2001 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Nicole... more
- 42Ruthless People is a 1986 black comedy film written by Dale Launer, directed by David Zucker,... more
- 1519Beaches, is a 1988 American comedy-drama film adapted by Mary Agnes Donoghue from the Iris... more
- 42Changeland is a 2019 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Seth Green. While... more
- 55Tone-Deaf is a 2019 American comedy horror film directed by Richard Bates Jr. After losing her... more
- 44Dumb and Dumber is a 1994 American road buddy comedy film starring Jim Carrey and Jeff... more
- 1927Rudy is a 1993 American sports film directed by David Anspaugh. It is an account of the life... more
- 1728Sliding Doors is a 1998 British-American romantic comedy-drama film written and directed by... more
- 1323Leaving Las Vegas is a 1995 romantic drama film written and directed by Mike Figgis and based... more
- 515Mud is a 2012 American drama film directed by Jeff Nichols and starring Matthew McConaughey,... more
- 1226Closer is a 2004 romantic drama film written by Patrick Marber, based on his award-winning... more
- 1432My Super Ex-Girlfriend is a 2006 American romantic comedy superhero film, directed by Ivan... more
- 2963Rocky is a 1976 American sports drama film directed by John G. Avildsen. A small-time boxer... more