Comic book movies seem to be all the rage nowadays, with Captain American, Batman, Superman, The Avengers, and more all headlining successful movies at the box office. Not all comic book movies are based on superhero books though, and not all are immediately identifiable as comics. There are comic book movies that range from comedy to action to horror and everything in between.With all the success they've had in the past and as well as at present, it's no surprise that more and more movies are being made from comic book source material. This list of movies you probably didn't know were based on comic books will show you some movies, gems and flops alike, that were based on comics you probably weren't aware of.
- With only six issues published, Men in Black began at Malibu Comics and then moved to Marvel Comics before being brought to the big screen. While the overall plot of the comics seems to be maintained in the movie, with many of the same characters, the comics dealt with more beyond aliens, including all the supernatural - something the movies lost.
12026Like this movie?
- Actors: Will Smith, Sylvester Stallone, Steven Spielberg, Danny DeVito, Tommy Lee Jones
- Released: 1997
- Directed by: Barry Sonnenfeld
- Starring Jim Carrey, The Mask is the film adaptation of a Dark Horse Comics series of the same name that ran for several years. While the movie was a lot more comical and kid-friendly, the comic book was more gruesome and bloody, something that was toned down a lot for the movie adaptation.
8839Like this movie?
- Actors: Cameron Diaz, Jim Carrey, Ben Stein, Amy Yasbeck, Joely Fisher
- Released: 1994
- Directed by: Chuck Russell
- 3Originally a comic published through DC Comics's Wildstorm imprint, Red follows an ex-CIA agent who has been marked for a hit. While the initial premise is the same in both the comic and the film, the movie adds many characters and plot elements and takes a more comedic slant on the whole thing, as opposed to the serious tone of the source material.
7230Like this movie?
- Actors: Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, Mary-Louise Parker
- Released: 2010
- Directed by: Robert Schwentke
- Taking its name from EC Comics's old science fiction anthology, Weird Science took the general plot of the short Made of the Future and modernized it. At just eight pages, the source material wasn't much, so only the general idea survived into the movie, with significant changes being made.
6731Like this movie?
- Actors: Robert Downey Jr., Kelly LeBrock, Bill Paxton, Anthony Michael Hall, Kym Malin
- Released: 1985
- Directed by: John Hughes