If you’re a regular nail salon patron, you might want to stop reading now. The following nail salon horror stories are enough to break anyone’s weekly mani-pedi habit even if you love cool nail art. The stories are, in part, so horrible because they could happen anywhere. An expensive salon could be just as guilty of recycling dirty tools as a more budget-friendly one. No matter where you go for your habitual pampering sessions, you have to be on the look out.
Women and men have revealed their worst nail salon experiences on Reddit and they didn't spare any disturbing details. Their excerpts are more than just cringe-worthy entertainment, though. They are cautionary tales that need to be told. Sometimes the patrons didn't pay attention or sometimes they just got saddled with a bad tech but the results are all the same - bad.
Read on to learn from others' terrible experiences and do try to stay safe out there, spa-goers.
"My husband bought me a mani/pedi voucher when I was eight months pregnant.
"They cut my cuticles and left four fingers bleeding. They filed my nails down below the tips of my fingers and painted the fingertips red on the off chance I wouldn't notice. They pumiced the tops of my feet till they bled but left the callouses on the soles alone.
"They took my gift voucher and then tried to charge me an extra €40.
"Leaving the salon, I went to grab my phone. It wasn't in my bag. I went back to get it, they said it wasn't there. I insisted on calling it from their desk phone and we followed the ringing... to my pedi lady's handbag. Not even an apology."
"Once a manicurist shaved off part of my nail. Like a giant hole in the middle of my index finger that was just exposed flesh. Then she soaked it in acetone..."
"This happened to my mother. Staph infection from dirty tool. The woman poked her skin on her thumb and a few days later it was the size of a kielbasa.
"They my ended up cutting it down the middle like a potato and putting in a drain. Week in the hospital plus PT afterwards and lots of meds. Don't f*ck with staphylococcus."
"Not me, a girl I know. She got MRSA when she went in for a pedi and they cut her foot. She almost died."