149.4k readers

13 Suspicious, Contradictory Facts About The Mysterious Death Of Natalie Wood

Updated September 17, 2019 149.4k views13 items

On November 28, 1981, the weekend after Thanksgiving, a notorious, very mysterious  Hollywood scandal took place on the Splendour, a 60-foot yacht anchored off Catalina Island, about 20 miles from Los Angeles. On board were Natalie Wood, her husband Robert Wagner, her friend Christopher Walken, and Captain Dennis Davern. All four were heavily intoxicated, both aboard the ship and on land, after a dinner complemented by multiple bottles of champagne. At approximately 8:00 am the following morning, 43-year-old Wood was found dead in the water about a mile from the yacht. It was determined an accidental drowning, despite the very suspicious circumstances of Natalie Wood's death.

Many items on this list are confirmed facts. The world knows with absolute certainty alcohol and pills played a factor in the childhood-actress-turned-Hollywood-icon's death. It's also known Wood had a deep-seated terror of water, and was fighting with Wagner that evening.

Along with the facts are many questions surrounding her death. How did Wood wind up in the freezing water that night? Did she slip trying to retie the dingy to the yacht? Did she simply fall overboard? How did she get all of the scratches found on her body? What was the exact relationship between Wood and her Brainstorm co-star Christopher Walken?

Weird celebrity deaths have fascinated the world for decades. The tragic mystery of Natalie Wood's death may never be solved. There are so many varying versions of the events on that fateful night. Who is lying? Who is telling the truth? Who, if anyone, can be trusted? Discover for yourself the bizarre night in 1981 that's essentially Rashomon come to life. 

  • The LA County Coroner Changed Wood's Cause Of Death 30 Years On

    Natalie Wood's death was ruled a drowning by the LA County Coroner in 1981. On January 14, 2013, officials released a 10-page addendum to her autopsy. The original 1981 coroner's report states the bruises found on Wood's face, wrists, knees, and ankles were from the actress trying to climb back into the yacht after falling over the side.

    When the case was re-opened in 2011, it resulted in a new coroner's report stating the bruises occurred before Wood went into the water. The medical examiner, however, could not conclude if the bruises were "non-accidental" and maybe the result of an assault.

    Wood's death was first ruled accidental. The new report ruled its cause undetermined.  The location of the bruises had a lot to do with the amendment. "The location of the bruises, the multiplicity of the bruises, lack of head trauma, or facial bruising support bruising having occurred prior to entry in the water," the report stated.

  • Wagner Was Finally Named A Person Of Interest In The Case In 2018

    Despite the lingering uncertainty around the case, an intriguing development was revealed in February 2018: Robert Wagner was finally named as a person of interest in Natalie Wood's death. Investigators from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department shared the news with 48 Hours, saying they intended to speak with him again about that night in 1981.

    In September 2018, the Splendor's captain, Dennis Davern, stated he believes Wagner was the one who killed Wood. In a Dr. Phil segment, Davern reveals he heard the two fighting the evening of her disappearance. 

    "They were fighting. You could hear things being thrown around the stateroom," Davern said. Dr. Phil then asked Davern, "Do you believe Robert Wagner murdered Natalie Wood?" and Davern said, "Yes, I really do."

  • Wood Had A Serious, Primal Fear Of Deep Water

    Although Wagner and Wood spent a lot of time on their yacht together, the Oscar-nominated actress had a fear of deep water. In fact, just weeks before her death, Wood told a journalist, "I'm afraid of water that is dark."

    The most common theory as to how Wood died involves her slipping trying to tie a dinghy to the yacht. Why would she have been in the dinghy alone - maybe escaping Wagner after an argument? - if she was so deathly afraid of deep water? According to Lana Wood, Natalie's sister, "She would never go near that dinghy."

    Wood's fear of water was sparked a few times during her career. While filming Splendor in the Grass in 1961, director Elia Kazan learned of Wood's phobia when she told him, regarding an important scene that takes place at a reservoir, she had a deep-seated "terror of water, particularly dark water, and of being helpless in it." She asked him if she could film the scene in a small tank inside a studio.

    Kazan declined her request because he wanted to use her terror to enliven the scene (directors can be big time jerks), but assured her she would be safe in the reservoir because it was shallow enough her feet would always touch bottom. Ever the professional, Wood did as instructed, but once the scene was shot, leapt from of the water and shivered out her fear before laughing hysterically.

    While filming The Star with Bette Davis in 1952 (ironically, off the coast of Catalina), director Stuart Heisler told Wood to jump over the railing of a private yacht and land in the water. He assured her there would be men in rowboats there to pick up her up after the jump. The actress reluctantly did the scene, but panicked and screamed when she landed in the sea. She was 14 at the time. 

    The scene was so devastating to watch Bette Davis threatened to quit the production if they made Wood do it again. A double body was brought in for the reshoot, and when she hit the water, she got caught up in kelp and almost drowned. Despite the trouble, the scene was ultimately cut from the movie.

  • The Coast Guard Wasn't Called Until Nearly Four Hours After Wood Disappeared

    According to the coroner's report, Wood's stomach contained 500 cc of partially digested food, which puts her time of death around midnight. Wood was missing at 11:05 PM, yet a ship-to-shore call wasn't placed until 1:30 AM and the Coast Guard wasn't notified until 3:30 AM. Why such a long delay?

    Marti Rulli, co-author of the book, Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour told CNN, "There are many, many things that should be examined, but mainly the four-hour wait to call for the Coast Guard." If Captain Davern is to be believed, it's because Wagner was relatively unconcerned with Wood's whereabouts, whether she rode away in the dinghy or was pushed overboard by her drunk, enraged husband.