It can be tough for women in Hollywood, so most female celebrities are probably feminists, right? Some are, but the actresses and female public figures on this list all identify as non-feminist celebrities. These celebrities who aren't feminists have all made statements on the topic, and their "I'm not a feminist" quotes appear below.
Feminism is defined as "a range of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal and civil rights for women." There are many outspoken celebrity feminists in Hollywood, ranging from Lena Dunham to Claire Danes, Ellen Page, and Oprah Winfrey.But for every proud feminist, there are equally proud non-feminists! The famous women on this list have all been quoted as saying they do not identify as a feminist. Whatever their reasons for not thinking of themselves as feminists, each woman's experience is uniquely her own, whether she supports feminism or not.
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/Staff / Getty Images Entertainment
"For me, the issue of feminism is just not an interesting concept. I’m more interested in, you know, SpaceX and Tesla, what’s going to happen with our intergalactic possibilities. Whenever people bring up feminism, I’m like, god. I’m just not really that interested... My idea of a true feminist is a woman who feels free enough to do whatever she wants."
Source: Entertainment Tonight
- Age: 36
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America
- Profession: Fashion Model, Musician, Singer-songwriter
- Schools: Fordham University, Kent School
- Major/Field Of Study: Philosophy
- Credits: The Great Gatsby, Mommy, Maleficent, Big Eyes
"I don’t consider myself a feminist, but I’m down for my first opportunity to say something to the world to be so meaningful. If you asked me, ‘What do you want to say?’ it would be, ‘Love yourself more.’"
- Age: 27
- Profession: Songwriter, Musician, Singer
"I'm very proud of being a woman, and as a woman, I don't even like the word feminism because when I hear that word, I associate it with women trying to pretend to be men and I'm not interested in trying to pretend to be a man. I don't want to embrace manhood, I want to embrace my womanhood."
Source: The Huffington Post
- Age: 42
- Birthplace: Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
- Profession: Spokesperson, Model, Actor
- Schools: W. J. Mouat Secondary School, University of British Columbia
- Credits: Lost, Ant-Man, Real Steel, The Hurt Locker
"I don't really think about things as guys versus girls. I never have. I was raised by parents who brought me up to think if you work as hard as guys, you can go far in life."
Source: The Daily Beast
- Age: 31
- Birthplace: Reading, Pennsylvania, United States of America
- Profession: Guitarist, Musician, Singer-songwriter, Film Producer, Actor
- Schools: Aaron Academy, West Reading El Ctr, The Wyndcroft School, Hendersonville High School, Wyomissing Area Junior/Senior High School
- Credits: The Hunger Games, San Andreas, Valentine's Day, Hannah Montana: The Movie