List of Famous Art Critics
List of famous art critics, with photos, bios, and other information when available. Who are the top art critics in the world? This includes the most prominent art critics, living and dead, both in America and abroad. If you want to be an art critic, judge these latte art featuring milk foam, creative drawings made in Snapchat, funny pictures drawn on dirty cars, and the coolest Etch-A-Sketch masterpieces. This list of notable art critics is ordered by their level of prominence, and can be sorted for various bits of information, such as where these historic art critics were born and what their nationality is. The people on this list are from different countries, but what they all have in common is that they're all renowned art critics.
This list of art critics includes Robert Hughes, John Ruskin, and more. Jonathan Richardson, one of the world's first art critics, based his art criticism on drawing, composition, and other categories. Featuring British art critics, modern art critics, contemporary art critics, and more, this list has them all!From reputable, prominent, and well known art critics to the lesser known art critics of today, these are some of the best professionals in the art critic field. If you want to answer the questions, "Who are the most famous art critics ever?" and "What are the names of famous art critics?" then you're in the right place.
- John Hoyer Updike (March 18, 1932 – January 27, 2009) was an American novelist, poet, short-story writer, art critic, and literary critic. One of only three writers to win the Pulitzer Prize for ...more
- Francis Russell "Frank" O'Hara (March 27, 1926 – July 25, 1966) was an American writer, poet, and art critic. Because of his employment as a curator at the Museum of Modern Art, O'Hara became ...more
- Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (; German: [ˈlɛsɪŋ]; 22 January 1729 – 15 February 1781) was a German writer, philosopher, dramatist, publicist and art critic, and an outstanding representative of the ...more
- Charles Pierre Baudelaire (UK: , US: ; French: [ʃaʁl bodlɛʁ] (listen); 9 April 1821 – 31 August 1867) was a French poet who also produced notable work as an essayist, art critic, and pioneering ...more
- Arthur Coleman Danto (January 1, 1924 – October 25, 2013) was an American art critic and philosopher. He is best known for having been an influential, long-time art critic for The Nation and for his ...more
Denis DiderotDenis Diderot (French: [dəni did(ə)ʁo]; 5 October 1713 – 31 July 1784) was a French philosopher, art critic, and writer, best known for serving as co-founder, chief editor, and contributor to the ...more