A list of famous drowning victims. These notable people drowned either by accident or intentionally. May we recommend learning to swim or learn to defend yourself so that you don't have to join this list of famous drowning deaths and victims. Not even celebrities are immune to drowning, and many unfortunately have bitten the big one this way. Many of the names on this list should be familiar, even if the way they died may not be as famous as their larger than life personalities.Who are famous drowning victims? Take a look at this list and you'll see for yourself.
Tiberinus Silvius, ninth Latin king of RomeDrowned in the River Tiber, which was named after him
- A student of the mathematician Pythagoras, who, by some accounts, was drowned by his fellow Pythagoreans for the imprudence of discovering irrational numbers
- Committed ritual suicide as a form of protest against the corruption of the era, a sacrifice still commemorated today during the Duan Wu or Dragon Boat Festival
Ptolemy XIII Theos PhilopatorDrowned in the Nile in 47 BC
- Lover of Roman Emperor Hadrian, drowned in the Nile in 130; the grieving emperor commissioned hundreds of statues of the youth and spread them around the Empire
- It is, however, suggested that he died of excessive drinking or mercury poisoning.
- Son of king Henry I of England, drowned in the Channel on 25 November 1120 in the White Ship wreck,
Matilda, Countess of PerchesCountess of Perches. Daughter of king Henry I of England, drowned in the Channel on 25 November 1120 in the White Ship wreck
- Duke of Swabia and Holy Roman Emperor, drowned in the Göks River (Cilicia).
Henry of AntiochDec. at 78 (1198-1276)Henry of Poitiers or Henri de Poitiers, drowned at sea on 18 June/27 June/28 June 1276, son of Bohemund IV of Antioch and first wife Plaisance Embriaco de Giblet
Magnus II of NorwayDec. at 21 (1048-1069)1316 - 1374
John of NepomukDec. at 48 (1345-1393)Martyred by drowning in 1393.
Henry HollandDec. at 61 (1745-1806)1430 � 1475
- Executed for treason against his brother king Edward IV of England on 1478, by drowning in a barrel of Malmsey wine; or so the legend says, because modern assessments favour the traditional decapitation instead
- Portuguese explorer who sailed around the Cape of Good Hope. Drowned not far from the Cape of Good Hope in 1500
Felix ManzDec. at 29 (1498-1527)Co-founder of the Swiss Anabaptists, was drowned in 1527 in the Limmat River in Z�rich by the Z�rich Reformed state church
- A Portuguese poet and writer of Sephardi Jewish origin, drowned on 4 November 1621
- Stadholder of the Low Countries, in 1711
Miguel Of Braganzabitched son of King Peter II of Portugal, in the Tagus River on 13 January 1724
Peter ArtediDec. at 30 (1705-1735)A disciple of Linnaeus, considered the father of Ichthyology, fell by accident in a channel of Amsterdam in 1735
Percy Bysshe ShelleyDec. at 30 (1792-1822)
Charles Clement JohnstonDec. at 37 (1795-1832)U.S. Representatives from Virginia, drown in Atlantic near a dock in Alexandria, Virginia in 1832
- English naturalist and geologist in 1862.
- Former Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives, drowned in the Brazos River near Columbia, Texas on 19 December 1865.