List of Famous Generals
List of famous generals, with photos, bios, and other information when available. Who are the top generals in the world? This includes the most prominent generals, living and dead, both in America and abroad. You might also enjoy the most famous military surrenders in war history and this list of CEOs who served in the military. This list of notable generals is ordered by their level of prominence, and can be sorted for various bits of information, such as where these historic generals were born and what their nationality is. The great generals on this list are from different countries, but what they all have in common is that they're all renowned generals.
This list includes American generals, like George Washington and Andrew Jackson, and other historical generals as well. These men have either led an army to victory or had a significant impact on the battlefield.From reputable, prominent, and well known generals to the lesser known generals of today, these are some of the best professionals in the general field. If you want to answer the questions, "Who are the most famous generals ever?" and "What are the names of famous generals?" then you're in the right place.
- George Smith Patton Jr. (November 11, 1885 – December 21, 1945) was a General of the United States Army who commanded the U.S. Seventh Army in the Mediterranean theater of World War II, and the U.S. ...more
- Ulysses S. Grant (born Hiram Ulysses Grant; April 27, 1822 – July 23, 1885) was an American soldier, politician, and international statesman who served as the 18th president of the United States from ...more
- George Washington was the first President of the United States, the Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States. He presided over the convention ...more
- Johannes Erwin Eugen Rommel (15 November 1891 – 14 October 1944) was a German general and military theorist. Popularly known as the Desert Fox, he served as field marshal in the Wehrmacht (Defense ...more
- Heinz Wilhelm Guderian (German: [ɡuˈdeːʁi̯an]; 17 June 1888 – 14 May 1954) was a German general during World War II. An early pioneer and advocate of the "Blitzkrieg" doctrine, he became chief of ...more
- Paul Ludwig Hans Anton von Beneckendorff und von Hindenburg (listen), known simply as Paul von Hindenburg (German: [ˈpaʊl fɔn ˈhɪndn̩bʊʁk] (listen); 2 October 1847 – 2 August 1934) was a German ...more