Haunting Unsolved Crimes From Oklahoma

California has the infamous escape from Alcatraz and the unidentified Zodiac Killer of the late '60s. Ted Bundy terrorized women in the Pacific Northwest in the '70s. Florida even boasts a tale of spontaneous human combustion in the '50s. Just like all of the other states in the US, Oklahoma, too, has its own unsavory secrets. 

The Sooner State is known for many things - its football teams, its famous residents like Carrie Underwood and Blake Shelton, tornadoes, and the Great Plains. What many people don't realize is just how many disturbing unsolved crimes have taken place in Oklahoma. If you're in the mood to be mildly disturbed, tuck into this list and vote up the most mysterious stories.

  • The Girl Scout Murders
    Photo: FBI / Fair Use

    The Girl Scout Murders

    On the night of June 13, 1977, a troop of Girl Scouts had just started their two-week camping trip. The troop was at Camp Scott, located about 50 miles away from Tulsa and two miles outside the closest town. It was a dark and heavily wooded area; once the flashlights were turned off and the late-night giggles of young girls faded out, nothing could be seen or heard. 

    So when the bodies of three campers were found mutilated just 100 yards away from their tent, everyone was in shock. The three girls, Lori Farmer, Michele Guse, and Denise Milner - aged 8, 9, and 10, respectively - had been tentmates. Autopsies later showed two of the girls had been struck in the head, while the other had been strangled. Two of the victims had also been raped. 

    Authorities immediately began a search, but it took them 10 months to arrest and charge someone for the crime. Gene Leroy Hart was a convicted rapist and kidnapper who had escaped from the Mayes County Jail four years prior to the murders. However, due to a lack of physical evidence, when the case went to trial, Hart was found not guilty. He was remitted to jail to serve out the remainder of his original sentence. Hart died just two months later.

    In May 2022, Mayes County Sheriff Mike Reed announced that further DNA testing in 2019 did not eliminate Hart. Previous tests conducted in 1989 matched Hart to a partial profile recovered from the scene, and while the new tests results were technically “inconclusive,” Reed states that the case against Hart remained “rock solid,” and that, in his mind, he was the man responsible for the crimes.

  • The Halloween Killing Of Nima Carter

    In Lawton, OK, George and Rose Carter were proud parents of their 19-month-old daughter Nima. On Halloween night in 1977, everything changed for the Carters. When Rose woke up on the morning of November 1, she went to check on her daughter, but the crib was empty. Nima was gone. 

    A month later, her body was found in an abandoned house just a few blocks away from where she went missing. It's believed that her kidnapper placed her inside the refrigerator in the abandoned home, leaving her to suffocate. Neighborhood children playing in the home happened to open the fridge, and Nima's body fell out, but not until a man stumbled upon the baby's remains beside the fridge was the incident reported. 

    Although there was a body, there was little evidence for authorities to collect and few suspects. Some in the community pointed fingers at Jacqueline Roubideaux, a local teenage babysitter. Roubideaux had a reputation for being shy and a little awkward. She had also been implicated in the 1976 abduction of twin girls in Lawton but had not yet been found guilty. The two abducted girls had been forced into a fridge in an abandoned house; one survived, but the other did not. 

    No other suspect was ever identified in the case of Nima Carter. Even after Roubideaux was convicted of first-degree murder for the death of Mary Carpitcher, the twin who had died, there was not enough evidence or a confession to pin Nima's murder on her, as well.

    Some members of the community had their doubts about her involvement, including George Carter. He points to the fact that shortly before Nima's abduction and murder, their dog had been poisoned. Not long after that, someone broke in and ransacked their home while they were gone. But with no physical evidence, and with the passing of Roubideaux in 2005, the case has since gone cold.

  • The Disappearance And Murder Of The Jamison Family

    In October 2009, a family of three went missing while they were looking at a plot of land they were considering buying in the southeastern part of Oklahoma. Volunteers and authorities scoured the area looking for clues as to the whereabouts of Bobby, 44, Sherilyn Jamison, 40, and their 6-year-old daughter, Madyson. The family's truck was found eight days after they were reported missing. The truck was locked, and inside was Bobby's wallet, Sherilyn's purse, a cellphone, and a bag filled with $32,000 worth of cash under the driver's seat. The family dog was also inside the truck and barely survived.

    Not until four years later did hunters stumble upon the family's remains in a densely wooded area, about 3 miles away from where the truck had been found in 2009. An autopsy was completed on all three bodies; however, the coroner could not determine a cause of death for any of the family members. No trauma was detected on the bodies, and the official cause of death is listed as "unknown."

    Adding to the mysterious death of the family was the fact that Bobby had requested a restraining order against his father after the senior Jamison had allegedly threatened Bobby and his family twice. The protective order petition also stated that Bobby believed his father, Bob Dean, was involved with various illegal activities. The petition was dismissed in May 2009, but Bobby was also suing his parents at that time for property he claimed they owed him. Bob Dean died shortly after his son and family went missing.

    Authorities believe the Jamisons who disappeared may have been scammers, due to the disability checks they were collecting prior to their disappearance and their history of suing individuals. A former pastor also told authorities that the couple said they were seeing ghosts in their home. Security footage that captured the couple packing for their trip outside their home also showed them acting oddly, almost as if in a trance, and sometimes just stopping to stare for minutes at a time. Some suggested the couple was heavily into drugs. Sherilyn's mother, Connie Kokotan, however, insists her daughter and her family were killed by a religious cult, and still others think it may have been group suicide, or murder-suicide, based on an angry note Sherilyn wrote to Bobby. Still, there are no leads and no suspects in the case of the Jamison family.

  • Penny Lowry And The Mystery Killer Of Her Newborn

    In November 1991, the body of a newborn baby was found inside a garbage bag near a lake in Warner, OK. The infant had been bludgeoned to death. The infant's mother, Penny Lowry from Tulsa, was interviewed by authorities less than a week after the discovery of the body, but she denied ever being pregnant.

    The case stalled until 2003 when authorities decided to use updated DNA techniques to analyze the evidence found at the scene. In July 2009, Lowry was arrested and charged with first-degree murder. Lowry admitted what happened, but both her testimony and witness testimony pointed the finger at a man who was with her as the one guilty of bludgeoning the infant. According to a hunter who witnessed the event at Jakes Lake, after Lowry gave birth, he heard Lowry scream, and a man grabbed the baby and hit it. After locking eyes with the hunter, the man then grabbed Lowry and made her leave the scene.

    Lowry pled guilty to first-degree accessory to murder, a lesser charge, and was given a sentence of 45 years in prison at the age of 38. The man who killed the baby and placed it inside the garbage bag was never identified. Community members raised money to give the baby a proper burial.

  • The Lawton Cache Road Killer

    In the early 2000s, a string of murders around Lawton stumped authorities. There were at least five victims: Jane Marie Chafton, 28; Mandy Ann Raite, 21; Janice Marie Buono, 29; Cassandra Lee Ramsey, 25; and Pamela Dawn Woodring, 34. All of the women were known sex workers that frequented an area along Cache Road Boulevard. Most of the victims were found naked, their bodies left in rural areas

    Many of the potential witnesses or others who had information about the victims were known drug users, making it difficult to obtain worthwhile information. Some think the killings were tied to a string of murders in nearby Texas, Tennessee, and Mississippi that happened around the same time. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation disagrees with this theory, yet has not put forth another theory or possible suspect. It's likely that there are more than five victims. To this date, however, no new information has been learned about the Lawton killings, and no suspects have been arrested.

  • Did Aileen Conway Die In An Accident, Or Was It Foul Play?

    Smoke caught the eye of a farmer just outside Lawton, OK, on the morning of April 29, 1986. When highway patrol arrived at the scene, they discovered a car burning so hot that it had melted the guardrails of the bridge it sat on. Inside the burning vehicle was a human body, but authorities knew there was no chance of survival. The body was later identified as 50-year-old Aileen Conway, and the vehicle was registered to her husband, Pat Conway. Authorities wrote it off as a tragic accident. 

    But Pat was convinced otherwise when he realized a string of odd coincidences that occurred the day his wife died. When Pat returned home a few hours after the accident - before the car or Aileen's body had been identified - he noticed the patio door was wide open and the garden hose was on, filling the pool with water. Aileen's purse, her driver's license inside, was sitting on the counter. The ironing board was out and the iron was on. Additionally, the bathtub was filled with water, with the phone nearby but left off the hook. Pat also wondered why his wife was on a deserted dirt road in an area that neither of them had ever been. 

    He convinced Ray Anderson of the district attorney's office to take a second look at the alleged accident. When Anderson returned to the crash site, he found a church flier, unburned, in the grass nearby. The flier had been on the dash of Aileen's car, and Pat insisted his wife always drove with the windows up. Additionally, the state fire marshal noted the car burned so hot, it was likely that gas, or another accelerator, had been used on the inside of the vehicle. The gas cap was also missing, a common occurrence in vehicle arsons. 

    Although the cause of Aileen's death was changed from "accidental" to "unknown," authorities have not gained much more information about the case. Pat, however, is convinced someone murdered his wife.