Here is a list of famous people you didn't realize are still alive. These old actors and actresses were stars decades ago, but have dropped off the face of the planet in recent years. Maybe you thought it was because they died. It wasn't. They just had other things to do. This list includes some of the oldest living actors and public figures who were once acclaimed by critics and nominated for many prestigious awards, including Kirk Douglas and Dick Van Dyke.
Just because these stars are out of the limelight doesn't mean they've passed on. Many are still working hard in their old age, though not necessarily in entertainment.
Which really old actors are still alive? You might be surprised to find out.
- Beverly Atlee Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is an American writer of children's and young adult fiction. One of America's most successful living authors, 91 million copies of her books have been sold worldwide since her first book was published in 1950. Some of Cleary's best known characters are Ramona Quimby and Beezus Quimby, Henry Huggins and his dog Ribsy, and Ralph S. Mouse.The majority of Cleary's books are set in the Grant Park neighborhood of northeast Portland, Oregon, where she was raised, and she has been credited as one of the first authors of children's literature to figure emotional realism in the narratives of her characters, often children in middle class families.She won the... more
2,190689Are you surprised?
- Age: 104
- Birthplace: McMinnville, Oregon
- Born: 1916-04-12
- Credits: Ramona and Beezus, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Ramona
- John Allen Astin (born March 30, 1930) is an American actor who has appeared in numerous films and television series, as well as a television director and voice artist. He is best known for starring as Gomez Addams in The Addams Family (1964–1966), reprising the role in the television film Halloween with the New Addams Family (1977) and the animated series The Addams Family (1992–1993). Notable film projects include West Side Story (1961), That Touch of Mink (1962), Move Over Darling (1963), Freaky Friday (1976), National Lampoon's European Vacation (1985), Teen Wolf Too (1987) and The Frighteners (1996). His second wife was actress Patty Duke and he is the adoptive father of Duke's son,... more
1,646553Are you surprised?
- Age: 90
- Birthplace: Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
- Born: 1930-03-30
- Credits: West Side Story, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, The Frighteners, Freaky Friday, National Lampoon's European Vacation
- Jerry Lee Lewis (born September 29, 1935) is an American singer-songwriter, musician, and pianist, often known by his nickname, The Killer. He has been described as "rock & roll's first great wild man."A pioneer of rock and roll and rockabilly music, Lewis made his first recordings in 1956 at Sun Records in Memphis. "Crazy Arms" sold 300,000 copies in the South, but it was his 1957 hit "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" that shot Lewis to fame worldwide. He followed this with "Great Balls of Fire", "Breathless" and "High School Confidential". However, Lewis's rock and roll career faltered in the wake of his marriage to Myra Gale Brown, his 13-year-old cousin. He had minimal success in the... more
1,876729Are you surprised?
- Age: 85
- Birthplace: Ferriday, Louisiana, United States of America
- Born: 1935-09-29
- Credits: Stand by Me, Walk the Line, Grease, Great Balls of Fire!
- Nathalie Kay "Tippi" Hedren (born January 19, 1930) is an American actress, animal rights activist and former fashion model. A successful fashion model from her twenties, appearing on the front covers of Life and Glamour magazines among others, Hedren became an actress after she was discovered by director Alfred Hitchcock while appearing on a television commercial in 1961. She received world recognition for her work in two of his films, the suspense-thriller The Birds in 1963, for which she won a Golden Globe, and the psychological drama Marnie in 1964. Hedren has appeared in over eighty films and TV shows including Charlie Chaplin's final film, A Countess from Hong Kong (1967), the... more
5,9342,556Are you surprised?
- Age: 90
- Birthplace: New Ulm, Minnesota, United States of America
- Born: 1930-01-19
- Credits: The Birds, Marnie, Roar, I Heart Huckabees