20 Photos Of Old Hollywood Letting Its Hair Down At Its Secret Getaway
Even major celebrities suffer from burnout sometimes. And during the Golden Age of Hollywood, the best cure for a case of overwork was a trip to Palm Springs, CA. The desert town quickly became the go-to getaway spot for stars, since it was within easy driving distance of their contractual obligations in Los Angeles.
Vintage pictures from Palm Springs give film buffs a unique glimpse at the city's sparkling past. Luminaries like Marlene Dietrich and John Wayne were photographed lounging by the pool; Clark Gable posed for some snapshots while enjoying a round of golf with his wife. Some notable figures, including Frank Sinatra, even invited photographers into the homes they purchased in the area, making the vacation permanent.
Palm Springs is no longer a secret playground for Tinseltown's elite, but these photographs prove it's always been a special place.
1. Steve McQueen And Neile Adams, 1963Photo: John Dominis/The LIFE Picture Collection / Getty Images
2. Gregory Peck And His Sons, 1955
3. Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, And Groucho Marx On The Golf Course, 1954Photo: Gene Lester/Archive Photos / Getty Images
4. James Dean Speaking With Motorcycle Racer Ed Kretz, 1954
5. Johnny Weismuller And Lupe Velez Soaking Up The Sun, 1932
6. Spencer Tracy With John And Josephine Wayne, 1934