16 Beautiful Old New York Photos
A collection of old pictures of NYC that'll have you singing "New York, New York" at the top of your lungs. If you've ever been to New York City before, then you know that the Big Apple is constantly changing and always under construction. These black and white photos take you on a visual tour of the city throughout the 20th century.
New York was, after all, the quintessential metropolis of the 1900s, a city in industrial overdrive as it teemed with millions of people and ambitions taller than any skyscraper. Speaking of which, this NYC photography catalogs the construction of the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings, among many other landmarks.
So take a stroll down memory lane with these 15 pictures that will remind you both how dramatically New York has changed and how resolutely the city stays the same.
1. George Washington Bridge, Unknown YearPhoto: Unknown / Library of Congress / Public Domain
2. Aerial, 1931-1933Photo: U.S. Navy / Wikimedia Commons / Public Domain
3. Empire State Building Construction, 1930Photo: Lewis Hine / Wikimedia Commons / Public Domain
4. Chrysler Building, 1932Photo: Samuel Gottscho / Wikimedia Commons / Public Domain
5. World Trade Center, 1976Photo: John VanderHaagen / Wikimedia Commons / CC BY 2.0
6. Penn Station, 1905-1915Photo: Unknown/Detroit Publishing Co. / Library of Congress / Public Domain