From rock and roll to pop, these are music's best one hit wonders from the 1970s, listed by performer. This is a list of popular 70s songs from bands or artists who only had one single reach the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States. Many of these bands and artists had extensive careers, either in the US or other countries, they just didn't ever have another single reach the Top 40 after the songs on this list. Vote up and down your faves!
Many of the bands and artists listed had popular hits in their native countries. For example, Shocking Blue's only breakthrough song in America was the now-iconic "Venus," but they had a number of successful hits in their native Netherlands. Additionally, many of the artists on the list had massive success with other groups or projects. Lou Reed's only major single as a solo artist in the '70s was "Walk on the Wild Side," but of course he's more famous for his work with The Velvet Underground. Ace Frehley makes the list for his single "New York Groove," but had other singles as the lead guitarist for KISS. Finally, some artists on the list just had lengthy careers but a niche audience, such as Warren Zevon (whose "Werewolves in London" proved to be his only Top 40 single.) Other acts were simply flash-in-the-pans who had a big moment in the spotlight, then faded into obscurity.Who are some one hit wonders from the 1970s? This is an attempt to list every one hit wonder artist of the '70s. Think you have an example of a 1970s hit that was the only Top 40 US single for a band or artist? Let me know in the comments!
- 518202'Layla': Peaked at #10 on August 5, 1972.
- 510207'Spirit in the Sky': Peaked at #3 on April 18, 1970.
- 404182'Love Hurts': Peaked at #8 on March 13, 1976.
- 404161'All Right Now': Peaked at #4 on October 17, 1970.
- 316117This has to be the best one hit wonder of the '70s; My Sharona #1 in 1979
- 452237'Werewolves of London': Peaked at #21 on May 13, 1978.
- 396201'Bang a Gong (Get It On)': Peaked at #10 on March 4, 1972.
- 479267'The Boys Are Back in Town': Peaked at #12 on July 24, 1976.
- 331159'Mississippi Queen': Peaked at #21 on April 18, 1970.
Ram JamRock music, Hard rock'Black Betty': Peaked at #18 on September 3, 1977.
- 357186'Play That Funky Music': Peaked at #1 on September 18, 1976.
- 294179'Dancin' in the Moonlight': Peaked at #13 on February 24, 1973.
- 265170'Cruel to Be Kind': Peaked at #12 on September 29, 1979.
Shocking BlueBlues-rock, Nederpop'Venus': Peaked at #1 on February 7, 1970.
- 294199'All the Young Dudes': Peaked at #37 on September 23, 1972.
- 268189'Afternoon Delight': Peaked at #1 on July 10, 1976.
- 207120'How Long?': Peaked at #3 on May 31, 1975.
- 250175'Rock On': Peaked at #5 on March 9, 1974.
- 256145'From the Beginning': Peaked at #39 on October 28, 1972.
- 250164'Hot Child in the City': Peaked at #1 on October 28, 1978.