List of orthodox Jewish celebrities, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Orthodox Judaism is a religion that abides by the application of laws and ethics of the Torah. Women who practice the faith adhere to a modest dress code, wearing sleeves that are past the elbows, skirts to the knees, and shirts with high necklines. Married women are also supposed to cover their hair while in the presence of men.
Who is the most famous person who is an Orthodox Jew? Mayim Bialik - a positive female role model and example for famous Jewish women - tops our list. The Big Bang Theory star has said that it is difficult to find dresses for the red carpet that fit with the standards of modesty of being an Orthodox Jew. She frequently speaks publicly about her faith and even participates in YouTube “Q and A” sessions with her fans. Other famous Orthodox Jewish women include novelist Faye Kellerman and celebrity chef Jamie Geller.
Musician Matisyahu incorporated his Orthodox Jewish beliefs into his reggae music. Recently, he has taken a more relaxed approach to religion. In a statement on his website, he wrote, “no more Chassidic reggae superstar. Sorry folks, all you get is me. . . no alias. When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process. It was my choice. My journey: to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality—not through books but through real life. At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity...to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth. I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules—lots of them—or else I would somehow fall apart. I am reclaiming myself. Trusting my goodness and my divine mission.”Do you think that being Orthodox Jewish has helped these actors and actresses succeed in Hollywood? Share your thoughts about these famous Orthodox jews in the comments section.
- Photo: Frazer Harrison / Getty Images"Big Bang Theory" star Mayim Bialik has said that is is difficult to find dresses for the red carpet that fit with the standards of modesty of being an Orthodox Jew.
- Age: 46
- Birthplace: San Diego, California, USA
- Musician Matisyahu incorporates his Orthodox Jewish beliefs into his reggae music. He is also vegan.
- Age: 42
- Birthplace: USA, West Chester, Pennsylvania
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYBritish musician Alex Clare was raised in a secular household, but chose to became an Orthodox Jew as an adult. He will not work, travel, or perform on Shabbos or on Jewish holidays.
- Age: 36
- Birthplace: Southwark, London, England
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainSenator Joe Lieberman became the first Orthodox Jew who was a Vice Presidential candidate when he joined the bill for Al Gore's Presidential run in 2000.
- Age: 79
- Birthplace: Stamford, Connecticut, United States of America