Actors have many tools at their disposal to convey a character’s thoughts and emotions. The power of nonverbal expression opens up the possibility for roles, or even entire movies, with little or no dialogue, where audiences can follow along just as easily as if there were.
Despite how effectively actors can perform without dialogue, it's still surprising when a major movie star takes on a role that gives them very little to say. However, these roles often pay off with acclaim and awards nominations acknowledging how well the actors perform under that restriction. Here are some of the best performances by big stars that don’t involve too much talking.
- 1245 VOTESPhoto: Lionsgate
- 2231 VOTESPhoto: Warner Bros.
- 3170 VOTESPhoto: Paramount Pictures
- 4210 VOTESPhoto: 20th Century Fox
- 5238 VOTESPhoto: 20th Century Fox
- 6202 VOTESPhoto: Roadshow Entertainment