List of popular Philip Glass operas, listed alphabetically with photos when available. This Philip Glass operas list includes the names of all Philip Glass operas, so if you're an opera lover you might recognize many of these historic operas. This famous Philip Glass operas list contains various bits of information, such as what language they were composed in and what genre the popular Philip Glass opera falls under. There are a lot of well-known Philip Glass operas out there so this list is a great way to learn about the ones you haven't heard of before.
This is a list that includes composers like Einstein on the Beach and Satyagraha.
This list answers the question, "Which operas did Philip Glass write?"If you're writing a research paper about historic Philip Glass operas then this is the perfect jumping off point to find out which famous operas were composed by Philip Glass.
- 1000 Airplanes on the Roof is a melodrama in one act by Philip Glass which featured text by David Henry Hwang and projections by Jerome Sirlin. It is described by Glass as "a science fiction music... more
- Akhnaten is an opera in three acts based on the life and religious convictions of the pharaoh Akhenaten, written by the American minimalist composer Philip Glass in 1983. Akhnaten had its world... more
- Appomattox is an opera in English based on the American Civil War, composed by Philip Glass, with a libretto by the playwright Christopher Hampton. The work had its world premiere at the San... more
- Einstein on the Beach is an opera in four acts, composed by Philip Glass and directed by theatrical producer Robert Wilson. The opera eschews traditional narrative in favor of a formalist approach... more
- Galileo Galilei is an opera based on excerpts from the life of Galileo Galilei which premiered in 2002 at Chicago's Goodman Theatre, as well as subsequent presentations at the Brooklyn Academy of... more
Hydrogen JukeboxHydrogen Jukebox is the name of a chamber opera featuring the music of Philip Glass and the work of beat poet Allen Ginsberg. Its name is taken from a phrase coined by Ginsberg, from his poem Howl.... more
KeplerKepler is an opera by Philip Glass set to a libretto in German and Latin by Martina Winkel. It premiered on 20 September 2009 at the Landestheater in the Austrian city of Linz with Dennis Russell... more
- Monsters of Grace is a multimedia chamber opera in 13 short acts directed by Robert Wilson, with music by Philip Glass and libretto from the works of 13th-century Sufi mystic Jalaluddin Rumi. The... more
- Satyagraha is a 1979 opera in three acts for orchestra, chorus and soloists, composed by Philip Glass, with a libretto by Glass and Constance DeJong. Loosely based on the life of Mohandas K. Gandhi,... more
- the CIVIL warS: a tree is best measured when it is down is an opera created in the early 1980s by director Robert Wilson to music by Philip Glass, David Byrne, Gavin Bryars and others. The vast... more
- The Juniper Tree is an opera co-composed by Philip Glass and Robert Moran in 1985 to a libretto by Arthur Yorinks based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tale. The opera is in two acts and is scored for... more
- The Making of the Representative for Planet 8 is a full-scale opera by Philip Glass with a libretto by Doris Lessing, first performed in 1988. The opera was co-commissioned by English National Opera,... more
The Marriage Between Zones Three, Four and Five
- The Photographer is a three-part mixed media performance accompanied by music by composer Philip Glass. The libretto is based on the life and homicide trial of 19th-century American photographer... more
- The Voyage is an opera in three acts by the American composer Philip Glass. The English/Latin/Spanish libretto was written by David Henry Hwang. The work was commissioned by the Metropolitan Opera,... more
- Waiting for the Barbarians is an opera in two acts composed by Philip Glass, with libretto by Christopher Hampton based on the 1980 novel of the same name by South African-born author John M.... more