Once Called 'Poisoned Gas Island,' 6,000 Tons Of It Was Produced There Over Two Decades
Ten years before the start of WWII, the Japanese government used Ōkunoshima to produce more than 6,000 tons of toxic gas from 1929 until 1945. The island is perfectly located in the East Sea/Inland Sea of Japan, far from civilians and the eyes of enemies.
The gas manufactured included mustard and phosgene, used as chemical weapons on the Chinese during WWII,with a purported casualty toll of 80,000.
The Island Was Removed From Maps To Keep The Project Hidden
Likely already unknown to the general populace, Ōkunoshima was removed from maps of Japan to keep it off the radar of enemies. As the Japanese created so much toxic gas there over nearly 20 years, keeping 'Poison Gas Island' hidden was of high importance to the government due to their agreement to the Geneva Protocol.
This Protocol banned the use of chemical warfare in armed conflicts, hence the need for secrecy.
Legend Has It That Rabbits Were Brought To The Remote Island For Testing
Some speculate that the large population of rabbits now housed on Ōkunoshima are descendants of test animals used during the island's time as a poison gas manufacturing site. However, sources disagree with this idea.
According to The Dodo, Ellis Krauss, professor of Japanese politics at the University of California San Diego, knows that the rabbits used as test subjects did not survive the American occupation of Japan. The American military euthanized the nearly 200 rabbits on the island.
Another Legend Is That A British Couple Brought Their Bunnies To The Island
This alleged British couple have no names and there's no timeframe for their visit on the island, but their story persists as the origin of the current friendly, aggressive, and plentiful pack there.