This list of the real names of wrestlers is loosely ranked by fame and popularity. Ken Shamrock and Jeff Hardy use their given name in the ring, but most wrestlers use a stage name. Some wrestlers use nicknames that they have had their whole life, while others create an entirely new persona.
Who is the most famous wrestler who uses a stage name? The Rock tops this list. The Rock was born Dwayne Douglas Johnson on May 2, 1972. The Rock has been successful transitioning from the world of professional wrestling into Hollywood. As Dwayne Johnson, he has acted in such films as Pain & Gain and the Fast & Furious franchise.
Hulk Hogan was born Terry Gene Bollea on August 11, 1953. Hogan is a six time WWF Champion and a six time WCW World Heavyweight Champion. He was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2005 for years of dropping some of the best wrestling moves. He and his family were the subject of a reality TV show entitled “Hogan Knows Best.” He also appeared in several films including Rocky III, Mr. Nanny and Santa with Muscles.Would you use a stage name if you were a wrestler? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka was born James William Reiher on May 18, 1943
- Birthplace: Fiji
- Nationality: United States of America
- Big Van Vader was born Leon Allen White on May 14, 1955
- Photo: flickr / CC0The Rock was born Dwayne Douglas Johnson on May 2, 1972.
- Birthplace: Hayward, California, United States of America
- Nationality: Canada, United States of America
- Position: Defensive tackle
- The Ultimate Warrior was born James Brian Hellwig on June 16, 1959.