The quick-paced energy of the kitchen often leads to tension that you can cut with a knife. The top movies about working in a restaurant find chefs, waiters, and waitresses pursing their love of food and navigating complicated relationships. This is a list of the best cooking movies including everything from Waitress to Waiting... to Jiro Dreams of Sushi.
What films will you find on this list of great movies about restaurants? Chef tells the story of an elite chef who gives up the restaurant life to start his own food truck. Jon Favreau wrote, directed, and starred in this 2014 film. The animated hit Ratatouille is another fantastic movie about working in a restaurant, following a rat with culinary aspirations. Love was on the menu in Mystic Pizza, starring Julia Roberts. Other good movies featured on this list include Big Night, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, and No Reservations.
Which of these restaurant movies is your favorite? Give the best films a thumbs up and please add any great features that are missing.
- Boiling Point is a 2021 British thriller-drama film directed by Philip Barantini. Enter the relentless pressure of a restaurant kitchen as a head chef wrangles his team on the busiest day of the year.
- Waiting... is a 2005 American comedy film starring Ryan Reynolds, Anna Faris, and Justin Long. It was written and directed by Rob McKittrick. McKittrick wrote the screenplay while working as a ...more
- Chef is a 2014 American comedy-drama film directed by Jon Favreau. After a public altercation with a food critic, a professional chef (Jon Favreau) quits his job at a popular Los Angeles restaurant ...more
- Ratatouille is a 2007 American computer-animated comedy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It is the eighth film produced by Pixar, and was co-written and ...more
- Burnt is a 2015 American drama film directed by John Wells. After cleaning up his drug habits, hotheaded chef Adam Jones (Bradley Cooper) returns to London, determined to redeem himself by ...more
- Hassan Kadam (Manish Dayal) is an extraordinarily talented and largely self-taught culinary novice. When he and his family are displaced from their native India and settle in a quaint French village, ...more
- Chef Primo (Tony Shalhoub) and businessman Secondo (Stanley Tucci) are immigrant brothers from Italy who open their dream restaurant, Paradise, in New Jersey. However, Primo's authentic food is too ...more
- The Slammin' Salmon is a 2009 comedy film by Broken Lizard. The film is about the owner of a restaurant initiating a contest to see which of his waiters can earn the most money in a single night, ...more
- "Mystic Pizza" charts the lives and loves of three unforgettable waitresses in a little town called Mystic. For sexy Daisy Araujo (Julia Roberts), her sensible sister Kat (Annabeth Gish) and their ...more
- Master chef Kate Armstrong (Catherine Zeta-Jones) runs her life and her kitchen with intimidating intensity. However, a recipe for disaster may be in the works when she becomes the guardian of her ...more
- Jenna (Keri Russell) works in a diner in a small Southern town and is a genius at creating luscious desserts, but her marriage to an overbearing lout (Jeremy Sisto) makes happiness impossible. When ...more
- Jiro Dreams Of Sushi is a a 2011 documentary film directed by David Gelb. "An appetizing documentary in every sense, Jiro Dreams of Sushi follows 85-year-old master sushi chef Jiro Ono, paying ...more
- After her husband dies, Alice (Ellen Burstyn) and her son, Tommy, leave their small New Mexico town for California, where Alice hopes to make it as a singer. Money problems force them to settle in ...more
- Still Waiting... is a 2009 American independent film starring John Michael Higgins, and Luis Guzman, and the sequel to Waiting.... Some of the cast of the original film appear in the sequel. Adam ...more
- A Taste of Hunger (aka Smagen af sult) is a 2021 Danish romantic drama film directed by Christoffer Boe. A couple who sacrifice everything to achieve the highest possible accolade in the culinary ...more
- One unlucky evening, Louis Cropa (Danny Aiello), a part-time bookmaker, discovers that his restaurant has become a hotbed of conflicting characters. In addition to having to please a whiny food ...more
- East Side Sushi is a 2014 drama film written and directed by Anthony Lucero. Against all odds, single Latina mum Juana aspires to become a sushi chef while working in a Japanese restaurant.
- Woman on Top is a 2000 fantasy romantic comedy film directed by Fina Torres. It is set in Salvador, Brazil and San Francisco, United States. The film stars Penélope Cruz, Murilo Benício, Harold ...more
- Three grown sisters, Maribel (Tamara Mello), Leticia (Elizabeth Peña) and Carmen (Jacqueline Obradors) try to cope and live with their father Martin (Héctor Elizondo) ; a veteran chef who is slowly ...more
- The Wing or the Thigh, from the French L'aile ou la cuisse is a 1976 French comedy film directed by Claude Zidi, starring Louis de Funès and Coluche.
- Martha (Martina Gedeck) relies on her culinary skills as her primary means of communication. She lives for her work and presides with obsessive care over her spotless, precise kitchen. When a fateful ...more
- Le Chef is a 2012 French comedy film, directed by Daniel Cohen and starring Jean Reno and Michaël Youn. The film had its international premiere at the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival in 2012.
- Spinning Plates is a 2012 documentary film written and directed by Joseph Levy.