This is going to make you feel really old or really young, but people have getting excited about Star Wars trailers since the '70s. When the original trailer for A New Hope hit, no one knew the kind of fandom that the film would inspire. And after watching the a few versions of that original film’s trailer, it’s kind of hard to figure out what’s going on - mostly because it’s 90% laser blasts, and it’s presented a possible documentary. Later trailers in the Star Wars saga would continue to try and keep audiences in the dark about the twists and turns of the series, while still dropping hints about the mythology.
Despite the franchise's secretive nature, revealing Star Wars trailers are a huge part of the series. Although without context it’s kind of hard to know what you’re seeing. These are some of the most revealing Star Wars trailers, and some notes on what we learned from each of them at the time.Most nerds worth their weight in credits remember where they were when the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailers were released. And if you didn’t get goosebumps the first time you saw the Millennium Falcon flying through the sky then you might be as dead as Emperor Palpatine. If you can’t wait until the next Star Wars film is released, wet your whistle with this collection of Star Wars trailers and vote up the Star Wars trailer or trailers that revealed the most about the films they advertised. Then feel free to leave a comment about which trailers you liked the best. After all, what are we doing if we’re not talking about Star Wars?
What We Learned:- Star Wars might be a documentary. After all, it could be happening right now
- There's some sort of armed conflict in space. A star war, if you will.
- Darth Vader's needle droid is creepy.
- Luke's voice was initially very Jerry Lewis in the Nutty Professor, no?
- The Star Wars was initially Helvetica, making the series about a billion times nerdier.
What We Learned:- Anakin really wants to learn the powers of the dark side.
- Samuel L. Jackson doesn't trust the Senator.
- The Council doesn't trust Anakin!
- The Jedi purge is imminent
- C-3PO really loves his catchphrases.
- Darth Vader means business.
What We Learned:- Star Wars definitely doesn't take place on Earth.
- Luke and Leia DEFINITELY weren't always meant to be brother and sister.
- The first Star Wars film took one billion years to make.
What We Learned:- There are smashed Star Destroyers everywhere.
- Luke is still chilling with R2-D2.
- Someone has a Darth Vader fetish.
- John Boyega was a stormtrooper? He is a storm trooper? One way or another, John Boyega dresses like a stormtrooper at some point.
- Han Solo and Chewbacca are back and that's all that matters.