List of popular Richard Wagner operas, listed alphabetically with photos when available. This Richard Wagner operas list includes the names of all Richard Wagner operas, so if you're an opera lover you might recognize many of these historic operas. This famous Richard Wagner operas list contains various bits of information, such as what language they were composed in and what genre the popular Richard Wagner opera falls under. There are a lot of well-known Richard Wagner operas out there so this list is a great way to learn about the ones you haven't heard of before.
These composers, like Tristan und Isolde and Die Walküre include images when available.
This list answers the question, "Which operas did Richard Wagner write?"If you're writing a research paper about historic Richard Wagner operas then this is the perfect jumping off point to find out which famous operas were composed by Richard Wagner.
- Das Liebesverbot, is an early opera in two acts by Richard Wagner, with the libretto written by the composer after Shakespeare's Measure for Measure. Described as a Große komische Oper, it was... more
- Das Rheingold, WWV 86A, is the first of the four operas that constitute Richard Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen. It was originally written as an introduction to the tripartite Ring, but the cycle is... more
- Der fliegende Holländer, WWV 63, is a German-language opera, with libretto and music by Richard Wagner. Wagner claimed in his 1870 autobiography Mein Leben that he had been inspired to write the... more
- Der Ring des Nibelungen, WWV 86, is a cycle of four epic operas by the German composer Richard Wagner. The works are based loosely on characters from the Norse sagas and the Nibelungenlied. The... more
- Die Feen is an opera in three acts by Richard Wagner. The German libretto was written by the composer after Carlo Gozzi's La donna serpente. Die Feen was Wagner's first completed opera, but remained... more
Die HochzeitDie Hochzeit is an unfinished opera by Richard Wagner which predates his completed works in the genre. Wagner completed the libretto, then started composing the music in the second half of 1832 when... more
- Die Laune des Verliebten was Richard Wagner's first attempt at an opera project. Written in about 1830, when Wagner was 17, the libretto was based on a play of the same name by Johann Wolfgang... more
- Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg is a music drama in three acts, written and composed by Richard Wagner. It is among the longest operas still commonly performed today, usually taking around four and a... more
- Die Walküre, WWV 86B, is an opera in three acts by Richard Wagner with a German libretto by the composer. It is the second of the four operas that form Wagner's cycle Der Ring des Nibelungen. The... more
- Götterdämmerung is an opera by Richard Wagner.... more
- Lohengrin is a Romantic opera in three acts composed and written by Richard Wagner, first performed in 1850. The story of the eponymous character is taken from medieval German romance, notably the... more
Männerlist grösser als FrauenlistMännerlist größer als Frauenlist oder Die glückliche Bärenfamilie is an unfinished Singspiel by Richard Wagner, written between 1837 and 1838. Männerlist was Wagner's last operatic project before he... more
- Parsifal is an opera in three acts by Richard Wagner. It is loosely based on Parzival by Wolfram von Eschenbach, a 13th-century epic poem of the Arthurian knight Parzival and his quest for the Holy... more
- Rienzi, der Letzte der Tribunen is an early opera by Richard Wagner in five acts, with the libretto written by the composer after Bulwer-Lytton's novel of the same name. The title is commonly... more
- Siegfried, WWV 86C, is the third of the four operas that constitute Der Ring des Nibelungen, by Richard Wagner. It premiered at the Bayreuth Festspielhaus on 16 August 1876, as part of the first... more
- Tannhäuser is an opera in three acts, music and text by Richard Wagner, based on the two German legends of Tannhäuser and the song contest at Wartburg. The story centers on the struggle between... more
- Tristan und Isolde is an opera, or music drama, in three acts by Richard Wagner to a German libretto by the composer, based largely on the romance by Gottfried von Straßburg. It was composed between... more