A complete list of bands and artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, ranked in order of preference by music fans. For a list of artists who deserve to be inducted but haven't been yet, check out this guide to Artists Who Belong in the Rock Hall of Fame. And be sure to vote down all the artists you don't think belong in the Hall of Fame!
The Rock Hall of Fame - located in Cleveland, Ohio - was established in 1986 and is dedicated to preserving the rich heritage and memorabilia associated with rock music. Each year, a list of bands and artists is nominated to join the pantheon of all-time greatest musical acts in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Out of these nominees, only a handful are then chosen as actual Hall of Fame inductees. To be eligible, a musician or band must have released their debut album at least 25 years previously. (This eliminates flash-in-the-pan or "fad" artists from getting through, leaving the honor of joining the Hall of Fame open only to those artists who have made a lasting impact on rock music.)
2012's inductees are Guns N' Roses, Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Laura Nyro, Donovan and The Small Faces. Nominated acts that were not selected this year include Eric B. & Rakim, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, The Spinners, Donna Summer and War. The Rock Hall of Fame decision-making process has been criticized frequently, for collecting all the power in the hands of a few individuals, and for ignoring genres that are not considered "purely" rock (such as hip-hop.) As well, some critics cite the numerous classic, iconic artists who are eligible but have not been inducted. These include Hall & Oates, Yes, Chicago, The Doobie Brothers, Rush, KISS, Sonic Youth, and other members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- 1Inducted in 1986.
- 2Inducted in 1988. Inducted Members: George Harrison, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr.
- 3Inducted in 1995. Inducted Members: John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant
- 4Inducted in 1998. Inducted Members: Don Felder, Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, Timothy B. Schmit and Joe Walsh.
- 5Inducted in 1989. Inducted Members: Mick Jagger, Brian Jones, Keith Richards, Ian Stewart, Mick Taylor, Charlie Watts, Ronnie Wood and Bill Wyman.
- 6Inducted in 1993. Inducted Members: Doug Clifford, Stu Cook, John Fogerty and Tom Fogerty.
- 7Inducted in 2001. Inducted Members: John Deacon, Brian May, Freddie Mercury and Roger Taylor.
- 8Inducted in 1988.
- 9Inducted in 1996. Inducted Members: Syd Barrett, David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Rick Wright.
- 10Inducted in 1994.
- 11Inducted in 1995.
- 12Inducted in 1999.
- 13Inducted in 1999.
- 14Inducted in 1994.
- 15Inducted in 2001. Inducted Members: Tom Hamilton, Joey Kramer, Joe Perry, Steven Tyler and Brad Whitford.
- 16Inducted in 2003. Inducted Members: Phil Rudd, Brian Johnson, Bon Scott, Cliff Williams, Angus Young and Malcolm Young.
- 172004 inductee
- 18Inducted in 1988. Inducted Members: Al Jardine, Mike Love, Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson and Dennis Wilson.
- 19Inducted in 1986.
- 20Inducted in 1987.
- 21Inducted in 1992. Inducted Members: Jimi Hendrix, Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding.
- 22Inducted in 2006. Inducted Members: Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi, Ozzy Osbourne and Bill Ward.
- 23Inducted in 1990. Inducted Members: Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle, Keith Moon and Pete Townshend.
- 24Inducted in 1996.
- 25Inducted in 1993. Inducted Members: John Densmore, Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek and Jim Morrison.