What is it about a scary school movie that appeals to movie goers? What is it about the thought of a killer psychopath on the hunt for human lives that makes our adrenaline go up and leaves us asking for more? This list features the absolute scariest movies set in a school, ranked by users and movie lovers as the absolute scariest.
Who doesn’t shudder (and laugh in between) at the thought of a ruthless, brutal killer messing with a bunch of high school students? And who doesn’t love the mystery of feeling like you can trust your closest friends, only to find that they are secretly planning on killing you? There are many, but what are the scariest movies set in a school?This list has the scariest movies set in schools, including: Scream, Urban Legend, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Carrie, The Craft, and Faculty. Vote up your favorite scary school movie below, or add one you love that isn't already on the list.
- In Wes Craven's classic slasher film, several Midwestern teenagers fall prey to Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund), a disfigured midnight mangler who preys on the teenagers in their dreams -- which, in turn, kills them in reality. After investigating the phenomenon, Nancy (Heather Langenkamp) begins to suspect that a dark secret kept by her and her friends' parents may be the key to unraveling the mystery, but can Nancy and her boyfriend Glen (Johnny Depp) solve the puzzle before it's too late?
- Released: 1984
- Directed by: Wes Craven
- Video: YouTubeIn this chilling adaptation of Stephen King's horror novel, withdrawn and sensitive teen Carrie White (Sissy Spacek) faces taunting from classmates at school and abuse from her fanatically pious mother (Piper Laurie) at home. When strange occurrences start happening around Carrie, she begins to suspect that she has supernatural powers. Invited to the prom by the empathetic Tommy Ross (William Katt), Carrie tries to let her guard down, but things eventually take a dark and violent turn.
- Released: 1976
- Directed by: Brian De Palma
- Video: YouTubeAlex Browning (Devon Sawa), is embarking on a trip to Paris. Alex experiences a premonition -- he sees the plane explode moments after leaving the ground. Alex insists that everyone get off the plane and 7 people including Alex, are forced to disembark. All watch as the plane actually explodes in a fireball. He and the other survivors have briefly cheated death, but will not be able to evade their fate for very long. One by one, these fugitives from fate fall victim to the grim reaper.
- Released: 2000
- Directed by: James Wong
- As winter break begins, a group of sorority sisters, including Jess (Olivia Hussey) and the often inebriated Barb (Margot Kidder), begin to receive anonymous, lascivious phone calls. Initially, Barb eggs the caller on, but stops when he responds threateningly. Soon, Barb's friend Claire (Lynne Griffin) goes missing from the sorority house, and a local adolescent girl is murdered, leading the girls to suspect a serial killer is on the loose. But no one realizes just how near the culprit is.
- Released: 1974
- Directed by: Bob Clark