What is it about a scary school movie that appeals to movie goers? What is it about the thought of a killer psychopath on the hunt for human lives that makes our adrenaline go up and leaves us asking for more? This list features the absolute scariest movies set in a school, ranked by users and movie lovers as the absolute scariest.
Who doesn’t shudder (and laugh in between) at the thought of a ruthless, brutal killer messing with a bunch of high school students? And who doesn’t love the mystery of feeling like you can trust your closest friends, only to find that they are secretly planning on killing you? There are many, but what are the scariest movies set in a school?This list has the scariest movies set in schools, including: Scream, Urban Legend, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Carrie, The Craft, and Faculty. Vote up your favorite scary school movie below, or add one you love that isn't already on the list.
- When a Stranger Calls is a 1979 psychological horror film. It was directed by Fred Walton and stars Carol Kane and Charles Durning. The film derives its story from the classic folk legend of "The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs" and the 1974 horror classic Black Christmas. The film was commercially successful, grossing $21,411,158 at the box office, though it received a mixed critical reception. It was followed by the 1993 made-for-television sequel When a Stranger Calls Back and a remake in 2006.... more
11641Agree or disagree?
- Actors: Carol Kane, Charles Durning, Rachel Roberts, Colleen Dewhurst, Tony Beckley
- Released: 1979
- Directed by: Fred Walton
- Scream 2 is a 1997 American slasher film created and written by Kevin Williamson and directed by Wes Craven, starring Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, David Arquette, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jamie Kennedy and Liev Schreiber, released on December 12, 1997 as the second installment in the Scream film series. Scream 2 takes place two years after Scream and again follows the character of Sidney Prescott, now a student at the fictional Windsor College, who becomes the target of a copycat killer using the guise of Ghostface. Sidney is accompanied by film-geek Randy Meeks, retired deputy sheriff Dewey Riley and news reporter Gale Weathers. ... more
12358Agree or disagree?
- Actors: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Courteney Cox, Heather Graham, Liev Schreiber, Jada Pinkett Smith
- Released: 1997
- Directed by: Wes Craven
- Photo: Ambassador FilmsBlack Christmas is a 1974 Canadian independent horror film directed by Bob Clark and written by A. Roy Moore. It stars Olivia Hussey, Keir Dullea, Margot Kidder, Andrea Martin, Marian Waldman and John Saxon. The story follows a group of sorority sisters who are stalked during the holiday season, by a perrson hiding in their sorority house. It was inspired by a series of events that took place in the Westmount section of Montreal, in the province Quebec, Canada. Black Christmas is generally considered to be one of the first slasher films. A remake of the same name, produced by Clark, was released in December 2006.... more
8636Agree or disagree?
- Actors: Margot Kidder, Andrea Martin, Olivia Hussey, John Saxon, Bob Clark
- Released: 1974
- Directed by: Bob Clark
- The Faculty is a 1998 science fiction horror film written by Kevin Williamson and directed by Robert Rodriguez. The film stars Josh Hartnett, Elijah Wood, Shawn Hatosy, Jordana Brewster, Clea DuVall, Laura Harris, Robert Patrick, Bebe Neuwirth, Piper Laurie, Famke Janssen, Usher Raymond, Salma Hayek, and Jon Stewart.... more
9547Agree or disagree?
- Actors: Salma Hayek, Usher, Famke Janssen, Jon Stewart, Jordana Brewster
- Released: 1998
- Directed by: Robert Rodriguez