Serial killers are among the most terrifying people imaginable, partially because of how unfathomable their crimes can be. Many serial killers look for a specific type of victim, while other serial killers will prey on any type of person.
One thing (of many) that makes serial killers so scary is that anyone can fall victim to them - and that the culprits are typically elusive and unknown. Many of the worst serial killers appeared to be friendly neighbors or easy-going coworkers that one would never suspect of killing numerous human beings. Many would consider the serial killers on this list to be some of the scariest due to their methods, motives, and personalities.
Once you've read the list, vote for those that you consider to be the most chilling.
- Pedro Alonso López (born 8 October 1948) is a Colombian serial killer, who was sentenced for killing 110 girls, but who claims to have raped and killed more than 300 girls across Colombia, Peru and Ecuador. Aside from uncited local accounts, López's crimes first received international attention from an interview conducted by Ron Laytner, a longtime freelance photojournalist who reported interviewing López in his Ambato prison cell in 1980. Laytner's interviews were widely published, first in the Chicago Tribune on Sunday, 13 July 1980, then in the Toronto Sun and The Sacramento Bee on 21 July 1980, and over the years in many other North American papers and foreign publications, including... more
4,4561,282Is this scary?
- Age: 71
- Birthplace: Santa Isabel, Colombia
- Gary Leon Ridgway (born February 18, 1949), also known as the Green River Killer, is an American serial killer. He was initially convicted of 48 separate murders. As part of his plea bargain, another conviction was added, bringing the total number of convictions to 49, making him the second most prolific serial killer in United States history according to confirmed murders. He killed a large number of teenage girls and women in the state of Washington during the 1980s and 1990s.Most of Ridgway's victims were alleged to be sex workers and other women in vulnerable circumstances, including underage runaways. The press gave him his nickname after the first five victims were found in the Green... more
1,906492Is this scary?
- Age: 71
- Birthplace: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America
- Ricardo Leyva Muñoz Ramírez, known as Richard Ramirez (; February 29, 1960 – June 7, 2013), was an American serial killer, rapist, and burglar. His highly publicized home invasion crime spree terrorized the residents of the greater Los Angeles area and later the residents of the San Francisco area from June 1984 until August 1985. Prior to his capture, Ramirez was dubbed the "Night Stalker" by the news media. He used a wide variety of weapons, including handguns, knives, a machete, a tire iron, and a hammer. Ramirez, who was an avowed Satanist, never expressed any remorse for his crimes. The judge who upheld Ramirez's thirteen death sentences remarked that his deeds exhibited "cruelty,... more
2,557712Is this scary?
- Age: Dec. at 53 (1960-2013)
- Birthplace: El Paso, Texas, United States of America
- Vlad III Dracula, known as Vlad the Impaler (Romanian: Vlad Țepeș, Bulgarian: Влад Цепеш, pronunciation: [ˈvlad ˈtsepeʃ] ) or Vlad Dracula ( (Romanian: Vlad Drăculea, pronunciation: [ˈdrəkule̯a] , Bulgarian: Влад Дракула); 1428/31 – 1476/77), was Voivode of Wallachia three times between 1448 and his death. He is often considered one of the most important rulers in Wallachian history and a national hero of Romania. He was the second son of Vlad Dracul, who became the ruler of Wallachia in 1436. Vlad and his younger brother, Radu, were held as hostages in the Ottoman Empire in 1442 to secure their father's loyalty. Vlad's father and eldest brother, Mircea, were murdered after John Hunyadi,... more
2,026518Is this scary?
- Age: Dec. 44 (1431-1477)
- Birthplace: Sighișoara, Romania