To a select group of folks, having a pet snake is a big part of life. A small, unfortunate portion of these reptile lovers become people who were killed by their pet snakes. Pet snakes that turned on their owners usually did so for a good reason; they were underfed, mishandled, or kept in a less-than-secure container. Others turned on their owners for pettier reasons, like not wanting to be given medication.
If you were on the fence about making yourself a proud owner of vicious pet snakes, maybe you should reconsider. Snakes are wild animals, and if they get loose, anyone in their path - not just their owners - are in potential danger.
This Zoo Worker Found A Burmese Python Swallowing A Student Whole
Imagine showing up at work and finding your coworker being swallowed by a python. In August 2008, that's exactly what happed at a zoo in Venezuela, when coworkers found a student zookeeper who had been killed by a python. The student had made the mistake of attempting to hold the python alone that night. The park had strict rules in place against this type of practice for this exact reason.
A Teen Tried To Feed His Python Chicken But Became The Meal Himself
Grant Williams, a 19-year-old snake lover in the Bronx, was killed by his pet python in 1996. He had purchased the snake five months prior, and he and his brother took turns caring for it. Williams had acquired a live chicken to feed the python when it attacked him. Experts say that one, it's not smart to feed a snake solo; and two, that when snakes smell food, all bets are off. Since the chicken was nearby, it's reasonable to expect that the snake went for Williams instead, as he was the closer target.
A Florida Teen Decided Kissing A Poisonous Snake Was A Good IdeaVideo: YouTube
In April 2015, Austin Hatfield, an 18-year-old Floridian, decided to keep a venomous cottonmouth snake - a decision that ultimately backfired on him, as the snake bit him in the face when he went to kiss it.
Though Hatfield recovered, it seemed he was playing with fire - he had kept the snake in a pillowcase for days, and supposedly kissed snakes to entertain his friends. Maybe Hatfield should learn a few card tricks instead.
A Wildlife Expert Was Almost Killed Doing Her Job
Debi Grudzinski, a wildlife rehabilitator, was attacked on the job in July 2011 by a boa constrictor. She had cared for the boa for eight years, and the snake started wrapping itself around her arm when she was watering it. Luckily, the woman's daughter called 911, and both the rehabilitator and the snake lived. However, she's done caring for snakes - one close call was enough.