Shoney's recipes - the easy way to prepare the best dishes from the Shoney's. These are copycat recipes, not necessarily made the same way as they are prepared at Shoney's, but closely modeled on the flavors and textures of Shoney's popular food, so you can bring the exotic tastes of one of the top restaurant chains in America to your own table for a fraction of the cost.
In 1947, Shoney's began its existence as a drive-in diner in Charleston, West Virginia, became a Big Boy franchise in 1952, and quickly expanded to several locations by 1954 when a name the franchise contest rebranded the chain "Shoney's" after founder Alex "Shoney" Schoenbaum. At its peak Shoney's operated over 1,300 restaurants across the US and even spawned a motel chain in the
From Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits to Buffalo Wild Wings hot sauce, chain and franchise restaurants are popular destinations around the world. Eating out too frequently can be costly, not to mention that it's hard to control portion size, ingredients, or the style of cooking to suit your preferences.
Making Shoney's recipes on your own allows you to save money while enjoying your favorite menu items from the casual dining spot. This list collections the best copycat Shoney's recipes from around the Web.
Beef and Cabbage SoupPhoto: Metaweb / CC-BY
1 lb ground beef- Dice the vegetables.
1/2 head cabbage
2 celery ribs
1 bell pepper
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
4 beef bouillon cubes
2 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups water
1 teaspoon pepper
- Brown the ground beef; drain.
- Add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic; cook until wilted.
- Add diced cabbage; add tomatoes juice and all.
- Add Worcestershire sauce; add pepper.
- Add 2 cups water and boullion cubes; add drained beans.
- Cook 30 minutes.9946Would you try this?
Shoney's Hot Fudge CakePhoto: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY1 (18.25-oz.) pkg. devil's food cake mix
1 1/3 c. water
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 half-gallon box vanilla ice cream (must be in a box)
1 (16 oz.) jar chocolate fudge sauce
1 can whipped cream
12 maraschino cherries
- Mix batter for the cake as instructed on the box; mix by combining cake mix, eggs, water and oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Place 4 cups of batter into a well-greased large baking pan; remaining batter can be made into cupcakes.
- Bake cake according to box directions; allow to cool completely.
- When cake has cooled, carefully remove from pan; place rightside up onto a sheet of waxed paper.
- Slice cake horizontally with a knife through the middle; carefully remove the top.
- Pick up waxed paper with cake bottom on it; place waxed paper back into the baking pan.
- Take ice cream from freezer; tear box open and slice.
- Make 6 3/4-inch slices; arrange slices on the cake bottom in the pan.
- Cover entire cake surface with ice cream slices; place the top half of the cake onto the ice cream layer.
- Cover baking pan with plastic wrap; place in freezer until serving.
- Heat up fudge sauce in microwave and pour over cake slices.
- Top slices with whipped cream and a cherry. Makes 12 servings.10075Would you try this?
Shoney's Strawberry PiePhoto: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY
5 tbsp. corn starch- Mix corn starch and sugar; add 7-Up and food coloring.
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 (10 oz.) bottle of 7-Up
1 tsp. red food coloring
Fresh strawberries (to fill pie shell)
1 baked (9 inch) pie shell
- Cook until thick; cool for 2 hours.
- Pour over fresh strawberries in the baked pie shell.
- Cool for 2 hours before serving.7762Would you try this?
Shoney's Country Fried SteakPhoto: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation License
3 cups water- Pour water into a medium bowl.
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 (4 ounce) cube steaks, trimmed, flattened
1 1/2 tablespoons ground beef, lean
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
- In another bowl, sift flour, salt, and pepper together; dip steaks in water, then into flour mixture and repeat.
- Lay coated steaks on wax paper; freeze for 3 hours.
- Deep fry steaks in 350 degrees F oil for 8-10 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- Brown ground beef in skillet.
- Stir in flour, then add remaining ingredients; bring to boil, and simmer until thick.
- Serve gravy over steaks. Makes 2 servings.3113Would you try this?