List of the best Sidney Poitier movies, ranked best to worst with movie trailers when available. Sidney Poitier's highest grossing movies have received a lot of accolades over the years, earning millions upon millions around the world. The order of these top Sidney Poitier movies is decided by how many votes they receive, so only highly rated Sidney Poitier movies will be at the top of the list. Sidney Poitier has been in a lot of films, so people often debate each other over what the greatest Sidney Poitier movie of all time is. If you and a friend are arguing about this then use this list of the most entertaining Sidney Poitier films to end the squabble once and for all.
If you think the best Sidney Poitier role isn't at the top, then upvote it so it has the chance to become number one. The greatest Sidney Poitier performances didn't necessarily come from the best movies, but in most cases they go hand in hand.
Uptown Saturday Night and Go, Man, Go! are a great starting point for your to rank your favorites on this list"This list answers the questions, "What are the best Sidney Poitier movies?" and "What are the greatest Sidney Poitier roles of all time?"
Notable directors that have worked with Sidney Poitier include names like Phil Alden Robinson, Otto Preminger and Richard Brooks. Is Sidney Poitier your favorite person to watch on the big screen? You might also want to vote on our best James Earl Jones and Louis Gossett, Jr. films lists too.
- The Bedford Incident is a 1965 Anglo-American Cold War film starring Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier, and co-produced by Richard Widmark. The cast also features Eric Portman, James MacArthur, ...more
- In 1950s America, members of a chain gang are being transported through the South when their truck crashes. Two of the convicts, John "Joker" Jackson (Tony Curtis) and Noah Cullen (Sidney Poitier), ...more
- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner is a 1967 American comedy-drama film produced and directed by Stanley Kramer and written by William Rose. It stars Spencer Tracy, Sidney Poitier and Katharine Hepburn, ...more
- American Mark Thackeray (Sidney Poitier) recently received his degree in engineering, but cannot find work. To make ends meet, he takes a job as a teacher in a rough London East End school populated ...more
- In the Heat of the Night is a 1967 American mystery drama film directed by Norman Jewison. It is based on John Ball's 1965 novel of the same name which tells the story of Virgil Tibbs, a black police ...more
- When traveling African-American handyman Homer Smith (Sidney Poitier) stops by a farm in rural Arizona, he is welcomed by a group of Roman Catholic nuns who have emigrated from Germany. Realizing ...more
- When Selina D'Arcey (Elizabeth Hartman), a blind young white woman, befriends Gordon Ralfe (Sidney Poitier), a black office worker, their budding relationship eventually leads to romance. However, ...more
- This lauded drama follows the Youngers, an African-American family living together in an apartment in Chicago. Following the death of their patriarch, they try to determine what to do with the ...more
- World War II veteran Richard Dadier (Glenn Ford) takes a teaching position at a rough New York City school for boys. The staff warns him that the students are nearly impossible to control, but the ...more
- Frustrated by his inability to help an African-American patient who hates whites, a psychiatrist (Peter Falk) asks his superior (Sidney Poitier) to release him from the case. The superior relates a ...more
- In this sequel to "In The Heat of the Night," Detective Virgil Tibbs (Sidney Poitier) must solve the murder of a prostitute. The last person witnessed with the victim is Tibbs' friend, Logan Sharpe ...more
- A widowed London teacher (Sidney Poitier) retires to Chicago, where he teaches a class of toughs and hopes to locate a past love.
- The Last Brickmaker In America is a 2001 film directed by Gregg Champion.
- This musical drama focuses on the poverty-stricken residents struggling to survive in the Charleston tenement of Catfish Row. The sultry Bess (Dorothy Dandridge) becomes the object of desire of Porgy ...more
- Apache Natives are after Ellen (Bibi Andersson), her baby, and her husband, William (Dennis Weaver). The family crosses paths with Jess (James Garner), a man who is trying to find out who killed his ...more
- Robbers Ray Biddle (Richard Widmark) and his brother are shot and taken to the local hospital. There, the two are treated by Dr. Brooks (Sidney Poitier), the hospital's only black doctor. The ...more
- During an FBI raid on a Moscow nightclub, the brother of Russian gangster Terek Murad (David Hayman) is killed. Murad wants revenge and hires anonymous hit man the Jackal (Bruce Willis) to kill FBI ...more
- Following the end of the Civil War, soldier-turned-trail-guide Buck (Sidney Poitier) makes a living by helping former slaves find settlements in the West. Along the way, a con artist, the Preacher ...more
- From his birth in Bethlehem to his death and eventual resurrection, the life of Jesus Christ (Max von Sydow) is given the all-star treatment in this epic retelling. Major aspects of Christ's life are ...more
- Axel Nordmann (John Cassavetes) takes a job as a dock laborer and is continually harassed by his tyrannical supervisor, Charles Malik (Jack Warden). Malik knows a secret from Axel's past, forcing the ...more
- Shoot to Kill is an adventure thriller movie released in 1988 starring Sidney Poitier, Tom Berenger, Clancy Brown, Andrew Robinson and Kirstie Alley. The film was directed by Roger Spottiswoode.
- Sneakers is a 1992 caper film directed by Phil Alden Robinson, written by Robinson, Walter Parkes, and Lawrence Lasker and starring Robert Redford, Dan Aykroyd, Ben Kingsley, Mary McDonnell, River ...more
- Uptown Saturday Night is a 1974 comedy film written by Richard Wesley, and directed by Sidney Poitier, who also stars in this film, along with Bill Cosby and Harry Belafonte. Cosby and Poitier teamed ...more
- Moorish ruler El Mansuh (Sidney Poitier) is determined to locate a massive bell made of gold known as the "Mother of Voices." Viking explorer Rolfe (Richard Widmark) also becomes intent on finding ...more
- The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn is a 1999 made-for-television film, first broadcast on 9 May 1999 on CBS. This movie stars Sir Sidney Poitier as the title character, a rural Georgia carpenter, Noah ...more