List of the best Sidney Poitier movies, ranked best to worst with movie trailers when available. Sidney Poitier's highest grossing movies have received a lot of accolades over the years, earning millions upon millions around the world. The order of these top Sidney Poitier movies is decided by how many votes they receive, so only highly rated Sidney Poitier movies will be at the top of the list. Sidney Poitier has been in a lot of films, so people often debate each other over what the greatest Sidney Poitier movie of all time is. If you and a friend are arguing about this then use this list of the most entertaining Sidney Poitier films to end the squabble once and for all.
If you think the best Sidney Poitier role isn't at the top, then upvote it so it has the chance to become number one. The greatest Sidney Poitier performances didn't necessarily come from the best movies, but in most cases they go hand in hand.
Uptown Saturday Night and Go, Man, Go! are a great starting point for your to rank your favorites on this list"This list answers the questions, "What are the best Sidney Poitier movies?" and "What are the greatest Sidney Poitier roles of all time?"
Notable directors that have worked with Sidney Poitier include names like Phil Alden Robinson, Otto Preminger and Richard Brooks. Is Sidney Poitier your favorite person to watch on the big screen? You might also want to vote on our best James Earl Jones and Louis Gossett, Jr. films lists too.
- In 1950s America, members of a chain gang are being transported through the South when their truck crashes. Two of the convicts, John "Joker" Jackson (Tony Curtis) and Noah Cullen (Sidney Poitier), ...more
- Reporter Ben Munceford (Sidney Poitier) is aboard a U.S. Navy ship sailing near the Arctic Circle, on assignment to write a profile of Capt. Eric Finlander (Richard Widmark), a hardened ...more
- When Joanna Drayton (Katharine Houghton), a free-thinking white woman, and black doctor John Prentice (Sidney Poitier) become engaged, they travel to San Francisco to meet her parents. Matt Drayton ...more
- African-American Philadelphia police detective Virgil Tibbs (Sidney Poitier) is arrested on suspicion of murder by Bill Gillespie (Rod Steiger), the racist police chief of tiny Sparta, Mississippi. ...more
- American Mark Thackeray (Sidney Poitier) recently received his degree in engineering, but cannot find work. To make ends meet, he takes a job as a teacher in a rough London East End school populated ...more
- When traveling African-American handyman Homer Smith (Sidney Poitier) stops by a farm in rural Arizona, he is welcomed by a group of Roman Catholic nuns who have emigrated from Germany. Realizing ...more
- When Selina D'Arcey (Elizabeth Hartman), a blind young white woman, befriends Gordon Ralfe (Sidney Poitier), a black office worker, their budding relationship eventually leads to romance. However, ...more
- This lauded drama follows the Youngers, an African-American family living together in an apartment in Chicago. Following the death of their patriarch, they try to determine what to do with the ...more
- World War II veteran Richard Dadier (Glenn Ford) takes a teaching position at a rough New York City school for boys. The staff warns him that the students are nearly impossible to control, but the ...more
- In this sequel to "In The Heat of the Night," Detective Virgil Tibbs (Sidney Poitier) must solve the murder of a prostitute. The last person witnessed with the victim is Tibbs' friend, Logan Sharpe ...more
- Robbers Ray Biddle (Richard Widmark) and his brother are shot and taken to the local hospital. There, the two are treated by Dr. Brooks (Sidney Poitier), the hospital's only black doctor. The ...more
- Frustrated by his inability to help an African-American patient who hates whites, a psychiatrist (Peter Falk) asks his superior (Sidney Poitier) to release him from the case. The superior relates a ...more
- The Last Brickmaker In America is a 2001 film directed by Gregg Champion.
- A widowed London teacher (Sidney Poitier) retires to Chicago, where he teaches a class of toughs and hopes to locate a past love.
- Apache Natives are after Ellen (Bibi Andersson), her baby, and her husband, William (Dennis Weaver). The family crosses paths with Jess (James Garner), a man who is trying to find out who killed his ...more
- This musical drama focuses on the poverty-stricken residents struggling to survive in the Charleston tenement of Catfish Row. The sultry Bess (Dorothy Dandridge) becomes the object of desire of Porgy ...more
- During an FBI raid on a Moscow nightclub, the brother of Russian gangster Terek Murad (David Hayman) is killed. Murad wants revenge and hires anonymous hit man the Jackal (Bruce Willis) to kill FBI ...more
- The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn is a 1999 made-for-television film, first broadcast on 9 May 1999 on CBS. This movie stars Sir Sidney Poitier as the title character, a rural Georgia carpenter, Noah ...more
- Shoot to Kill is an adventure thriller movie released in 1988 starring Sidney Poitier, Tom Berenger, Clancy Brown, Andrew Robinson and Kirstie Alley. The film was directed by Roger Spottiswoode.
- Following the end of the Civil War, soldier-turned-trail-guide Buck (Sidney Poitier) makes a living by helping former slaves find settlements in the West. Along the way, a con artist, the Preacher ...more
- From his birth in Bethlehem to his death and eventual resurrection, the life of Jesus Christ (Max von Sydow) is given the all-star treatment in this epic retelling. Major aspects of Christ's life are ...more
- Computer hacker Martin (Robert Redford) heads a group of specialists who test the security of various San Francisco companies. Martin is approached by two National Security Agency officers who ask ...more
- Uptown Saturday Night is a 1974 comedy film written by Richard Wesley, and directed by Sidney Poitier, who also stars in this film, along with Bill Cosby and Harry Belafonte. Cosby and Poitier teamed ...more
- In Kenya, Peter (Rock Hudson), the son of a white settler, forms a tight friendship with Kimani (Sidney Poitier), a Kenyan worker. After Kimani's father is imprisoned for enforcing a controversial ...more
- Despite being far from home, American jazz musicians Ram Bowen (Paul Newman) and Eddie Cook (Sidney Poitier) are content living and working in Paris. Ram knows it's the best place for him to develop ...more