The silliest celebrity name changes put each of these celebrities names into the headlines, but not necessarily for making wise decisions. From a legendary pop musician who changed his name to a funky symbol to athletes who legally adopted ridiculous names to force professional sports league to put that ludicrous name on their jerseys, these celebrities all at one point in their life, if not several times, changed their names.
It's pretty common for musicians and actors to change their name before entering the entertainment world. Larry King was born Lawrence Zeiger, Marilyn Monroe was Norma Jean Baker, and Madonna became simply Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone. But those names are not nearly as silly as these celebrities self-selected names. Lady Gaga? Eminem? All are far cries from what would be considered a "normal" name.
In the bizarre category, pop singer Prince stunned the world in the 1990s when he changed his name to a weird symbol that could not be pronounced. It really didn't work though, as he was called "the artist formerly known as Prince" for several years.
In the annoying category, rapper, actor, and entrepreneur Sean Combs has changed his name repeatedly throughout the years going from Puff Daddy to P. Diddy to just Diddy. Actor and professional wrestler Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson did the flip-flop act as well with his names, going back and forth between monikers as he changed and re-changed careers.
Athletes have been changing their name for years. Mark Super Duper, Chad Ochocinco, and Metta World Peace all petitioned the courts for name changes, which also essentially forced the executives at the NFL and NBA to put the cheesy names on their officially licensed jerseys.
Whether it was before they were famous or after they had established these careers, all of these celebrities for one reason or another adopted new, flashy names. Hey, we can't all be born with awesome names like Blue Ivy Carter or Fifi Trixibelle or even North West.What are some funny celebrity name changes? There are some pretty hilarious ones on this list. Some celebrities change their names for the better... but often times, it doesn't work out that way.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainBorn Ray Burns. Captain Sensible was the founding bass player, and later the guitar player, for groundbreaking UK punk band the Damned, the first punks to record, to chart, and to tour the US. He played with the band, often wearing a tutu, a nurse's uniform, or nothing, from 1976 until 1984, when he started his solo career.
16056Is this silly?
- Age: 66
- Birthplace: England, London
- Profession: Songwriter, Musician, Singer
- Photo: user uploaded imageNFL wide receiver Chad Johnson legally changed his name to Chad Ochocinco, a poor Spanish translation of his jersey number, 85, in 2008. He previously used the name Ochocinco on his Cincinnati Bengals jersey, which earned him a fine from the league but once the name change was legal, the NFL was forced to use his new moniker.
260123Is this silly?
- Age: 37
- Birthplace: Miami, Florida, United States of America
- Profession: Athlete, American football player
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BY
Taking the title for the most silly name changes, Sean John Combs, an influential rapper, singer, producer, actor, and entrepreneur, has gone through a long list of stage names during his career. Puff Daddy, a title he used early in his rap career, changed to P. Diddy, which was then shortened to simply Diddy. With the March 2014 announce of an upcoming album, he decided to revert back to his old name, Puff Daddy, a name he hasn't used since 1997.He also goes by Sean Combs professionally and gave his clothing line another moniker, Sean John.
221116Is this silly?
- Age: 50
- Birthplace: New York City, New York
- Profession: Fashion designer, Record producer, Songwriter, Television producer, Musician
- Photo: Scott Harrison / Getty ImagesRobert Van Winkle. Somehow the name, "Vanilla Ice" was supposed to make him cool.
223118Is this silly?
- Age: 52
- Birthplace: South Dallas, Dallas, Texas, United States of America
- Profession: Record producer, Rapper, Musician, Actor, Singer