For most people, skyscraper window cleaners aren't something to think about. Unless you're paying for the cleaning, or happen to be one of the workers on the other side of the 20th-floor pane, window cleaning happens without your involvement. The window was dirty, then it's clean, and life goes on. But not thinking about window cleaners means they happen to see a lot of things most people would prefer to keep private.
You might have thought you could get away with something in your office or residence that only a bird flying by might see, or that you're the one who's seen strange things outside your bedroom window. Well, window cleaners suggest otherwise. These intrepid outdoor workers have taken to Reddit to describe the strangest, funniest, and weirdest things they've seen on the job. Lesson learned: if you live or work in a skyscraper, invest in curtains or blinds, or look out the window to check for an unwanted audience of one.
From Redditor /u/FerryPencer:
I saw a man and a woman squirting water out of their mouths at each other. It probably was highballs, not water, but I couldn't see what they had in their glasses.
Anyway, first he'd take a swallow and squirt it all over her, then she did it to him - they took turns, for God's sake. You should've seen them. They were in hysterics the whole time, like it was the funniest thing that ever happened.
From Redditor /u/A_Window_Cleaner:
When I was working windows right out of high school, I was cleaning the suite windows at the Wynn where Prince Harry was staying.
I found myself cleaning royal vomit off of the balcony window.
I guess the prince knows how to throw a good party.
From Redditor /u/differt:
[I saw] a dude throwing kitchen knives at a dartboard in an undersized pink robe.
Skipped that window.
From Redditor /u/darkerthanmysoul:
My uncle has been doing this job over 20 years, so I’ve had a few weird stories off him:
- A woman filming [an adult movie].
- A sign on a window asking them to not clean the bathroom window. Obviously not knowing which window [looked into the bathroom], they went about their jobs. The bathroom had skinned rabbits hung up.
- A hoarder whose windows were slowly being hidden by the years of “collections.”
- A famous footballer who was NOT with his wife. Not not long after this the company was asked to sign NDAs.
- What looked like a scene [for police]. My uncle reported it but was later told it was fake [body substances] for a TV show that was filming there.
- A dog breeder (okay, breeder is not the right word, but someone who had two litters), and every four weeks he went back to clean the building and got to see the pups growing up. When he went back and they were roughly 12 weeks there was one pup left. He asked for her, and now he’s got a rottie called Holly.