Honestly, who wouldn't want a robot sidekick? It could use its mechanical arms or high-tech know-how to get you out of jams. It could make pithy or witty remarks as your wingman at the party or at the bar. Whether you're a kid or an adult, there are plenty of great reasons to have a smartass robot best friend.
The real question is: which one would you choose to have as your cybernetic sidekick? There are tons of robots you'd want to be friends with from TV, movies, comics, and other media. However, no matter which bot you pick, there are some pros and cons depending on who you choose to be your best bud.
Let's break it down so you can decide for yourself which smartass robots in pop culture should be your robo-BFF.
The stogie-smoking robot of Planet Express provided plenty of great laughs in Futurama and would likely do the same as your buddy. Yet, while Bender is fun, he will turn on you faster than you can say "Hot diggity daffodil!" Bender may bend the truth and bend the boundaries of friendship, but you just can't help but like the guy - er, robot.
- Plenty of alcohol on hand.
- Pulls hilarious pranks.
- A talented folk singer.
- Can bend that thing you need bent.
- No loyalty to humans.
- Pulls hilarious pranks on you.
- Will cackle at your imminent death at every opportunity.
The smart-mouthed bot Tom Servo helped make bad movies tolerable during all 10 seasons of Mystery Science Theater 3000. While short in stature, Servo is chock full of personality and moxie. That said, he might need a hand since his hoverskirt slows him down.
- Always has a wisecrack ready.
- Creates fun, imaginative inventions.
- Can make people laugh at the most terrible or boring stuff.
- Wonderful singing voice.
- Hands are useless for holding things, pointing at things, and high-fiving.
- Hoverskirt/lack of legs makes going on hikes and other activities difficult.
- Disappointing lack of gumballs in his head.
Whether you enjoyed Rogue One: A Star Wars Story or not, many believe that K-2SO stole the film. The reprogrammed Imperial security droid provides great sarcasm and wit that helps break the tension during long trips. If that's not enough, he's incredibly strong and a crack shot with a laser blaster.
- Highly skilled at math for when you're splitting the bill or calculating the tip.
- Loyalty built into his program.
- Honest to a fault.
- Has Alan Tudyk's voice.
- Tall enough to reach that thing.
- Says whatever he wants without regard to feelings.
- Tells you the odds of survival during dire situations despite you already knowing how screwed you are.
- Acts like a d*ck if he disagrees with you.
You know when the Sith hits the fan, R2's got your back. Aside from being a loyal droid, we know he can crack wise thanks to C-3PO getting offended and retorting at every other beep R2-D2 utters. He's a delightful troublemaker, even encouraging BB-8 to poke fun at Threepio.
- Able to keep a secret.
- Resourceful; has a lot of hidden lasers and lock picks.
- Can toss a lightsaber to you faster than you can say, "Beer me."
- Lack of hands means lack of hi-fives and games of football.
- Has an annoying scream when afraid.
- Can't understand his "beep-boop" language... even though other humans that speak English understand him somehow... wait, this is confusing.