List of the best Sterling Hayden movies, ranked best to worst with movie trailers when available. Sterling Hayden's highest grossing movies have received a lot of accolades over the years, earning millions upon millions around the world. The order of these top Sterling Hayden movies is decided by how many votes they receive, so only highly rated Sterling Hayden movies will be at the top of the list. Sterling Hayden has been in a lot of films, so people often debate each other over what the greatest Sterling Hayden movie of all time is. If you and a friend are arguing about this then use this list of the most entertaining Sterling Hayden films to end the squabble once and for all.
If you think the best Sterling Hayden role isn't at the top, then upvote it so it has the chance to become number one. The greatest Sterling Hayden performances didn't necessarily come from the best movies, but in most cases they go hand in hand.
Examples of films on this list include A Carol for Another Christmas and So Big."This list answers the questions, "What are the best Sterling Hayden movies?" and "What are the greatest Sterling Hayden roles of all time?"
Sterling Hayden was no stranger to working with popular directors, including Stanley Kubrick, Robert Altman and Francis Ford Coppola. Sterling Hayden was in some really popular films, and is right up there with stars like Ray Milland and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. in terms of fame and success.
- Career criminal Johnny Clay (Sterling Hayden) recruits a sharpshooter (Timothy Carey), a crooked police officer (Ted de Corsia), a bartender (Joe Sawyer) and a betting teller named George (Elisha ...more
- In advance of a presidential visit to the small town of Suddenly, California, a trio of FBI agents enters the Benson family's home to assess potential security risks. Once inside, leader John Baron ...more
- Crime Wave is a 1954 film noir, directed by André De Toth. It was adapted from a short story which originally appeared in The Saturday Evening Post - Criminal Mark by John and Ward Hawkins.
- Denver and Rio Grande is a western film, directed by Byron Haskin and released by Paramount Pictures in 1952. The film is a dramatization of the building of the Denver and Rio Grande railway, which ...more
- Flat Top is a 1952 American drama film directed by Lesley Selander and starring Sterling Hayden, with early appearances from Phyllis Coates, Jack Larson, Richard Carlson, and William Schallert. The ...more
- A film about what could happen if the wrong person pushed the wrong button -- and it played the situation for laughs. U.S. Air Force General Jack Ripper goes completely insane, and sends his bomber ...more
- Recently released from prison, Dix Handley (Sterling Hayden) concocts a plan to steal $1 million in jewels. Dix gathers a team of small-time crooks, including a safecracker (Anthony Caruso) and a ...more
- On the outskirts of town, the hard-nosed Vienna (Joan Crawford) owns a saloon frequented by the undesirables of the region, including Dancin' Kid (Scott Brady) and his gang. Another patron of ...more
- Widely regarded as one of the greatest films of all time, this mob drama, based on Mario Puzo's novel of the same name, focuses on the powerful Italian-American crime family of Don Vito Corleone ...more
- Private detective Philip Marlowe (Elliott Gould) is asked by his old buddy Terry Lennox (Jim Bouton) for a ride to Mexico. He obliges, and when he gets back to Los Angeles is questioned by police ...more
- When his son Benjie is accused of killing a stagecoach driver, Sheriff Sam Galt (Sterling Hayden) is convinced his boy is innocent. On a quest to clear his son's name, Galt spares no expense in ...more
- Timberjack is a film directed by Joseph Kane that was released in 1955.
- Though drunken baker Al Willis (Gene Barry) insists he's innocent of all charges, police chief Joe Conroy (Sterling Hayden) is determined to throw the book at Willis for murdering a fellow cop. ...more
- Ted Stryker (Dana Andrews) has drifted through life unsuccessfully since he led a dreadful air attack in World War II. When his wife, Ellen (Linda Darnell), and his son leave him, Ted hurries onto ...more
- When newspaper columnist Kathy Ferguson (Barbara Stanwyck) meets cop Bill Doyle (Sterling Hayden), the two quickly hit it off and get married. Kathy gives up her career and heads to Los Angeles with ...more
- This expansive period drama follows two childhood friends in northern Italy during the early 20th century. Alfredo Berlinghieri (Robert De Niro) and Olmo Dalcò (Gérard Depardieu) grow up as close ...more
- When Swedish-American whaler George Hanson (Sterling Hayden) returns to his Texas hometown after 20 years at sea, he's shocked to learn that his father was murdered just two days prior. The feckless ...more
- With the American Civil War looming, construction of the Pacific railroad is being held up in Kansas, sabotaged by Confederate sympathizers. The government dispatches an Army engineer, John Nelson ...more
- In this fact-based film, legendary Texan Jim Bowie (Sterling Hayden) attempts to come to a nonviolent compromise with Mexican President Santa Anna (J. Carrol Naish), but the negotiations soon turn ...more
- When her father dies, penniless Selina (Jane Wyman) takes a job teaching in a small Dutch farming community close to Chicago. After marrying Pervis DeJong (Sterling Hayden), the musically inclined ...more
- Inspired by the conspiracy theories surrounding John F. Kennedy's assassination, this comic thriller follows Nick Kegan (Jeff Bridges), the younger brother of a U.S. president killed 19 years ...more
- Flaming Feather is a 1952 Western film directed by Ray Enright and starring Sterling Hayden.
- Hitchhiking on a deserted New Mexico road after his car breaks down, John Emmett (Sterling Hayden) gets picked up by Ann Nicholson (Ruth Roman), who is in a rush to reach Santa Fe, N.M. The ...more
- After the Civil War, ranch owner Gil Hanley (Sterling Hayden) helps a stranger in desperate need of medical attention. Soon he is questioned by Union soldiers about the stranger, who turns out to be ...more
- When Rick Martin (Sterling Hayden) goes back to his hometown to warn the townspeople of an imminent attack by marauders, he finds he has been exiled due to his reputation as a gunslinger for hire. ...more