Weird Strange Deaths Caused by Everyday Objects  

Anabel Conner
69.9k votes 12.8k voters 12M views 30 items
Sooner or later, the Grim Reaper comes for us all, but sometimes his mode of operation almost defies explanation. We all know about the major statistics - thousands of people die from things like cancer, car accidents, or other illnesses every day - but who would think hair extensions would be deadly or that a scarecrow would be lethal? Although getting an atomic wedgie in front of the watching world might be akin to dying a social death, who would imagine that one could be dispatched from this earth in such a way - killed by your own underwear?
 

It is said that life is stranger than fiction, but when reading about these strange deaths caused by random, everyday objects, one realizes that this saying also applies to death. Each item on this list is normally a completely innocuous, harmless object. Yet, in the right circumstance, they've become instruments of absolute doom. Prepare to be fascinated by these unusual deaths caused by mundane items... and never look at a condom the same way again!
1 2,541 VOTES

Molten Chocolate

Molten Chocolate is listed (or ranked) 1 on the list Strange Deaths Caused by Everyday Objects
Photo:  cegoh/Pixabay/CC0 1.0

In 2016, a 24-year-old woman in Russia died after falling into a vat of molten chocolate. According to news reports, the woman worked at the Sergiev Posad confectionery factory in Fedortsovo. One person said she dropped her phone and was trying to retrieve it when she fell in, while another witness said she was pouring flour into the mixture when the bag got caught.

Whatever the reason, Svetlana Roslina fell into the vat and was minced to death by the mixing blades. The only thing left of her was her dismembered legs. 

2,136 405
Is this tragically strange?
2 3,997 VOTES

Deodorant

Deodorant is listed (or ranked) 2 on the list Strange Deaths Caused by Everyday Objects
Photo:  THSVideoProduction/via Youtube

16-year-old Jonathan Capewell of Oldham, England, died in 1998 after suffering a heart attack brought upon by his over zealousness for personal hygiene. Capewell became obsessed with smelling fresh and covered his entire body in deodorant at least twice a day. At the time of his death, the teen had 10 times the lethal dosage of propane and butane in his blood. It is believed the gases built up in his body following months of repeatedly spraying himself in the bedroom of his home.

The coroner reported " He was not indulging in any form of substance abuse. He was simply overcome by excessive use of anti-perspirants."

Strangely enough, 10 years later, the same thing happened to 12-year-old Daniel Huxley of Nottingham. 

Source: The Independent, The Daily Mail
3,154 843
Is this tragically strange?
3 3,885 VOTES

A Fire Hydrant

A Fire Hydrant is listed (or ranked) 3 on the list Strange Deaths Caused by Everyday Objects
Photo:  artsology/via Pinterest

In 2007, Humberto Hernandez, a 24-year-old Oakland, CA resident, was killed after being struck in the face by an airborne fire hydrant while simply walking down a city street. A passing car had struck the fire hydrant and the water pressure shot the hydrant at Hernandez with enough force to kill him.

Source: The Oakland Tribune
2,985 900
Is this tragically strange?
4 2,141 VOTES

Soup

Soup is listed (or ranked) 4 on the list Strange Deaths Caused by Everyday Objects
Photo:  humourhelp/via Twitter

Ilda Vitor Maciel of Rio de Janiero, an 88-year-old Brazilian woman, entered the hospital in 2012, having a stroke. She was killed, dying of a pulmonary embolism, when hospital workers injected her with soup, rather than putting it in her feeding tube. Chicken soup might be good for a cold, but one of the local nurse technicians took it a little too far.

Source: Huffington Post
1,675 466
Is this tragically strange?