• Weird

Strange Deaths Caused by Everyday Objects

Sooner or later, the Grim Reaper comes for us all, but sometimes his mode of operation almost defies explanation. We all know about the major statistics - thousands of people die from things like cancer, car accidents, or other illnesses every day - but who would think hair extensions would be deadly or that a scarecrow would be lethal? Although getting an atomic wedgie in front of the watching world might be akin to dying a social death, who would imagine that one could be dispatched from this earth in such a way - killed by your own underwear?

It is said that life is stranger than fiction, but when reading about these strange deaths caused by random, everyday objects, one realizes that this saying also applies to death. Each item on this list is normally a completely innocuous, harmless object. Yet, in the right circumstance, they've become instruments of absolute doom. Prepare to be fascinated by these unusual deaths caused by mundane items.

Photo:
  • 5

    A Fire Hydrant

    In 2007, Humberto Hernandez, a 24-year-old Oakland, CA resident, was killed after being struck in the face by an airborne fire hydrant while simply walking down a city street. A passing car had struck the fire hydrant and the water pressure shot the hydrant at Hernandez with enough force to kill him.

    Source: The Oakland Tribune
    2,744
    663
    Is this tragically strange?
  • 6

    A Beard

    Austrian Hans Steininger was famous for having the world's longest beard at four and a half feet long. Unfortunately, he is also famous for dying because of it.

    Steininger normally kept his beard rolled up in a leather pouch, as it trailed after him and could be a hindrance. However, when a fire broke out in 1567, he neglected to roll it up properly and, in the process of fleeing, stepped on his beard, lost his balance and fell down, breaking his neck.

    Source: Cabinet of Curiosities

    2,311
    554
    Is this tragically strange?
  • 7

    Hair Extensions

    One minute 34-year-old Atasha Graham was letting her hair down and blowing off steam at a club, and the next, she was dead because of her hair.

    In May 2011, Graham had been dancing all night at a club where her boyfriend was DJ. Upon arrival at home afterward, she immediately collapsed, then died a short while later. The pathologist determined that Graham was likely killed due to a reaction caused by her latex hair extensions and the glue used in their application. Traces of glue could have seeped into her bloodstream after she started perspiring on the dance floor, poisoning her.

    Source: Daily Mail
    1,381
    338
    Is this tragically strange?
  • 8

    A Toilet

    Soccer enthusiast Paulo Ricardo Gomes da Silva was killed just weeks before Brazil hosted the World Cup in 2014. Rowdy fans tore out three of the stadium's toilet bowls and threw them from the stands. Gomes da Silva was hit by one and killed instantly.

    Source: Fox News

    1,297
    316
    Is this tragically strange?