Unspeakable Crimes 12 Historic Suicides That May Have Been Murders  

Phil Gibbons
435.6k views 12 items

History is filled with suspicious occurrences that have left us wondering about the truth concerning the passing of a famous or infamous figure. Demises that initially seemed straightforward subsequently looked convoluted as more details came to light, and some supposed self-inflicted passings remain shrouded in mystery - and fodder for conspiracy theories - to this day.

Unfortunately, history is frequently left with more questions than answers about infamous suicides that may have actually not been self-inflicted. Sometimes any number of possibilities are plausible. Occasionally, the obscurity of a victim alone is enough to set off questions that don't have an explanation. Here are some of the more puzzling historic instances in which it's believed the celebs took their own lives, but it's possible that they were actually victims, struck down at the hand of another.

Hitler May Have Ended His Niece Over A Possibly Sordid Sexual Relationship

Hitler May Have Ended His Niec... is listed (or ranked) 1 on the list 12 Historic Suicides That May Have Been Murders
Photo: Unknown/Wikimedia Commons/CC BY-SA 3.0 DE

Angela "Geli" Raubal was the half-niece of Adolf Hitler and the daughter of Hitler's half-sister Angela. Hitler, based on his own traumatic youth, had lost contact with his half-sister until 1919, when he located her and they resumed contact. She visited him in prison and was hired as a household employee in 1925 and moved to the Berghof in Berchtesgaden, along with 17-year-old Geli.

Geli would move into Hitler's apartment in Munich in 1929, ostensibly while completing coursework in medicine at a nearby university. Hitler became obsessed with controlling Geli's social and romantic life. He fired his chauffeur when he discovered the man was involved with his half-niece and kept her virtually confined to his apartment. While photographs haven't been able to convey her rare beauty, it is clear that she cast quite a spell over her "Uncle Alf."

Because of his domineering attitude, their relationship became openly hostile and she began to demand to be allowed to return to Vienna. Hitler adamantly refused and the situation reached a boiling point when, on September 19, 1931, Raubal was found deceased in the apartment, having taken a bullet in the chest. The official version had Hitler supposedly leaving for a conference in Hamburg on the previous afternoon, after a spectacular row and what sounded like a fired shot, which was heard by neighbors. When Geli did not emerge on the morning of the 19th, apartment residents eventually gained access.

They found Hitler's niece deceased and Hitler's revolver in her vicinity in what initially seemed like a self-inflicted passing. Strangely, a cheerful letter composed in Geli's hand was found on her desk, paused in mid-sentence. The first police officer on the scene, Heinrich Muller, would seize the gun and the letter and then seal off the residence.

There was no autopsy or judicial inquiry and rumors have perpetually circulated about her demise and the exact relationship of Hitler and Geli. A prominent journalist publicly maintained that Hitler never left the city, but instead was seen lunching the previous day at a restaurant with Geli and then returned to the apartment where an argument occurred. Both the journalist and the restaurant owner would be slain on the "Night of the Long Knives," a purge involving various inconvenient political impediments, both great and small. A Catholic priest who extricated an explicit letter that Hitler wrote to Geli in 1929 was also found deceased during the same incident.

Muller would eventually be named a high-ranking official in the Gestapo; Geli's mother would quit working for Hitler in 1936 but would maintain contact. It is believed that about this time Hitler became a vegetarian, associating meat with the image of Geli's body.

Marilyn Monroe May Have Been Taken Out By The Kennedys

Marilyn Monroe May Have Been T... is listed (or ranked) 2 on the list 12 Historic Suicides That May Have Been Murders
Photo: New York Sunday News/Wikimedia Commons/Public Domain

Officially, Marilyn Monroe was pronounced deceased on August 5, 1962, from an overdose. Los Angeles Coroner Thomas Noguchi asserted that her passing was most likely intentional, based on her mental state and abuse of both alcohol and pharmaceutical drugs. Within two years, allegations concerning Monroe's demise began appearing in print. These assertions were general at first, involving entities like the Mafia, the FBI, the CIA, even the Communist Party.

Over time, the scenario involving Monroe as a target has been refined to lay the blame on Robert and John F. Kennedy. The complicated theory runs as follows:

Through his brother-in-law Peter Lawford, President Kennedy became involved with Monroe and ultimately assigned Bobby the task of letting her know that the affair was over. Instead, Bobby began his own torrid affair with Monroe that culminated with her calling and writing him non-stop, mistakenly believing he would divorce his wife. In no uncertain terms, Bobby personally informed her on August 4 at her Brentwood home that this was impossible and that she was to cease contacting him. At this point, Marilyn threatened to call a news conference and tell the world of her experiences with both men. She also mentioned a red diary that detailed explicitly her dalliances with the Kennedys. RFK left but returned later with two police detectives and Lawford. They would leave after administering an enema consisting of a massive dose of Nembutal and chloral hydrate at about 10:30 pm.

When Monroe's housekeeper finally called an ambulance, her psychiatrist Ralph Greenson also appeared and instructed the ambulance attendants to allow him to give her an injection, which those present believe was a deliberate, fatal overdose. Greenson had been sleeping with Monroe, too, a transgression that would have sent him to prison, and Bobby Kennedy threatened him with this knowledge.

The passing of Marilyn Monroe was controversial enough to elicit another official investigation by the Los Angeles District Attorney's office in 1982. The DA ruled that her demise was either self-inflicted or an accidental overdose and that his office planned no further inquiry.

Survivors Claim That What Happened At Jonestown Was Actually Sinister

Survivors Claim That What Happ... is listed (or ranked) 3 on the list 12 Historic Suicides That May Have Been Murders
Photo: Nancy Wong/Wikimedia Commons/CC BY-SA 4.0

On November 18, 1978, over 900 people perished in the jungles of Guyana as the climax to a sequence of events involving cult leader Reverend Jim Jones and his followers, known as the Peoples Temple. Initially, and even today, this incident typically is described as a mass suicide in which Jones convinced his flock that they were doomed and the only way forward was a collective, voluntary passing. After a lengthy and typically strident speech from Jones, it was alleged that parents first willingly administered a flavored drink laced with cyanide to their children and then lined up to drink the concoction themselves.

Over time, survivors, autopsies, and former members of the cult who had renounced Jones told a much different story about the movement's final moments. Before Jones summoned the group for this process, the entire encampment was encircled with numerous males armed with rifles and cross-bows. On the tape of the final moments of the commune, Jones has a lengthy debate with Temple member Christine Miller, who quite reasonably asked what those who wished to live should do so. Eventually, she was shouted down and meekly submitted to poisoning herself.

The official autopsy report submitted by the chief medical examiner for the country of Guyana indicated that syringe marks between the shoulder blades of numerous adults indicated that they had been forcibly injected. Tim Carter, a survivor of the incident who was asked to return to the compound to help identify victims, has stated: "Jonestown should always be considered a mass murder, with some suicide."  He maintains that as many as 90 percent of the victims at Jonestown were deliberately terminated. 

No One Knows What Happened to Ludwig II Of Bavaria Or His Personal Physician

No One Knows What Happened to ... is listed (or ranked) 4 on the list 12 Historic Suicides That May Have Been Murders
Photo: Michael Petzet/Wikimedia Commons/Public Domain

In the US, Ludwig II of Bavaria remains relatively obscure. In Europe, especially in Germany, he is perceived as a true visionary whose attitudes on German nationalism, warfare, and governance have brought him a cult-like following. Ludwig was a true autocrat who spared no expense in his lifestyle and his patronage of such figures as Richard Wagner, whom he idolized and supported financially. He remains most famous for his architectural creations, the magnificent castles of Neuschwanstein, Linderhof, and Herrenchiemsee. (Neuschwanstein is said to be the inspiration for Disney's Magic Castle at Disneyland.)

Unfortunately, as Ludwig's initial popularity among the nobility waned and his profligate spending began to literally endanger the state of Bavaria with bankruptcy, the Bavarian elite decided that extreme measures needed to be taken. On June 10, 1886, a coup d'etat was launched that eventually resulted in the king being declared mentally unfit to rule and ordering his replacement by the Prince Regent Luitpold. Ludwig was arrested at Neuschwanstein, placed under guard, and conveyed to another of his castles at Lake Starnberg, near Munich, where he was held under guarded 24-hour observation. Still quite popular with the Bavarian people, it was feared that any public appearance of the king might be enough to precipitate a popular revolt.

On the evening of the 13th of June, accompanied by his government-appointed physician, Ludwig set off on a stroll along the lake after dinner. Because his doctor, Bernhard von Gudden, felt these walks were therapeutic, he instructed guards and attendants to allow them privacy. Despite heavy rain, the two men headed toward the lakefront at about 6:30 pm. When they did not return at the expected time of 8 pm, a frantic search ensued, which ultimately found both men deceased in shallow water, face-down.

Suspiciously, Dr. Gudden suffered bruises around the head and face and signs of strangulation. Ludwig was ultimately declared to have drowned, although his lungs contained no water. Today a simple cross on Lake Starnberg at the site of his passing commemorates this incident. What happened to him still remains one of the enduring mysteries of European history.