15 Tampon Horror Stories That Will Seriously Freak You Out
Sigh… it's the time of the month. Again. Cramps, headaches, and the need to ask your best girlfriend, "Uh… do you have a tampon?"
To make you feel a little bit better about your period, here's a list of tampon horror stories. Because trust us, there are a lot of ways wearing a tampon can go wrong: from the occasional lost and forgotten tampon, to ones that were used weapons, to crazy toxic shock syndrome tales that make it seem as tampons were created to destroy us from the inside out. These horrors have happened to numerous women, even famous pop-stars and models. In an a surprising twist, some have happened to people who aren't women (like members of boy bands and unlucky little brothers). But hey, at least they haven't happened to you, right?
The first tampons (as we think of them now) were created in the 18th century. But there's evidence that Egyptian women used papyrus ebers during their monthly visits from Aunt Flow in ancient times. Though some of these horror stories probably wouldn't happen to Cleopatra (like being known as "The Girl That Ate Her Tampon") chances are periods were just as annoying then as they are now.
If you're a girl, chances are you've experienced some of these moments. This list might make you cringe in disgust, cry with empathy, or laugh in camaraderie. We've all been there. And if you haven't personally experienced all of these moments, don't worry, chances are you will. Well, we hope not, for your sake.
- 1911 VOTES
Surprise Box Of Moldy Tampons
After opening a tampon out of a recently purchased box of Kotex, Danielle Parr was horrified to find the feminine hygiene product was moldy. Yes, moldy! What's worse is that when she wrote to Kotex to let them know of their moldy product they responded that they "have found the mold to be a common environmental species that carries no health risk."(Source)
- 2592 VOTES
Student Got TSS After Forgetting About Her Tampon for Nine DaysThat'll teach her (and you) to lose track of your tampon! A student in the UK was diagnosed with sepsis due to Toxic Shock Syndrome after she forgot about a tampon and accidentally left it in for nine days. Initially, 20-year-old Emily Pankhurst thought exam stress was causing her bloating and and weakness, but when she started slurring her words and her skin became blotchy, she knew something serious was wrong. Luckily doctors were able to save her live with strong antibiotics, although the illness left her too weak to walk long distances.
- 3613 VOTES
Girl Eats Tampon
All of the internet was disgusted when Giovanna Plowman decided to film herself eating her tampon. That's right, folks, ate her tampon! She has since confessed her embarrassment and remorse for being known as the "girl that ate her tampon," claiming it was something she did for attention.(2)
- 4587 VOTES
Called Out By Teacher
It's hard enough to have to surf the crimson tide, but it's even worse when you're at school and you leak through your clothes. But a girl's day was made even worse when her male teacher said, "miss you need to go change your pad" because she had bled through her tampon and on to her pants.
- 5609 VOTES
It's A "Common Thing" For Tampons To Get Lost
A girl noticed that things weren't "smelling so fresh" down there and booked it in to see her doctor. After relaying her symptoms: bad smell, odd spotting after sex, and not feeling 100% well, she laid down on the table. The doctor took a quick look and immediately discovered the problem: the girl had a tampon stuck inside her. Horrified, the girl shouted, "What's wrong with me?" The doctor chuckled and responded that it's a common thing.
- 6530 VOTES
Visible Tampon String Leads To Pool Shaming
Just seconds after she jumped off a diving board the lifeguard blew his whistle and called the girl over to him. She was super excited because the lifeguard was really cute. Imagine just how mortified she was when he told her that her tampon string was hanging out of her suit.