Actors are known for being skilled at languages, using their talents to tell universal stories. But while many of the most recognizable actors today gain fame by appearing in English-speaking films, some are fluent in other languages. You might be surprised to learn, for example, that Bradley Cooper speaks absolutely flawless French. Which other famous celebrities are bilingual?
Some actors don't stop with just one language: Natalie Portman speaks five languages (fluently)! Not all bilingual actors and actresses actually do films in other languages - but some do, and others handle dubs in other languages with ease (we're looking at you, super-smart Jodie Foster).Behold these awesome videos of bilingual celebrities and videos of celebrities speaking a foreign language. Whose language skills are the best? Be sure to vote for the most linguistically talented celebrities below!
- He may have won the Oscar for playing a speech-challenged monarch in The King's Speech, but actor Colin Firth has no trouble speaking in real life. This British-born actor speaks fluent Italian. In 2010, he showed off his skills, giving an interview in Italian during the Venice Film Festival.
1,120161Did this surprise you?
- Age: 60
- Birthplace: Grayshott, United Kingdom
- Actress Sandra Bullock was born and raised in the U.S., but she speaks fluent German. Bullock's mother was a German opera singer, and her parents actually met while her dad was stationed in Nuremberg. In 2000, she won a Bambi Award (Germany's version of the Oscars) and gave her acceptance speech in German.
591508Did this surprise you?
- Age: 56
- Birthplace: Virginia, United States of America
- Actor Leonardo DiCaprio's mother was German (she even survived a World War II bombing raid in Germany) and Leo is fluent in German. DiCaprio's middle name is Wilhelm.
229187Did this surprise you?
- Age: 45
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, USA, California
- As children, brothers Ben and Casey Affleck both lived in Mexico, where they learned to speak Spanish. Ben promoted his movie The Town in Spanish, describing co-stars Jon Hamm as "guapo" (handsome) and Jeremy Renner as a little bit "loco," but also "likable."
184179Did this surprise you?
- Age: 48
- Birthplace: Berkeley, California, United States of America