In the '90s Christian alternative rock took off right along with mainstream music. With a surge of bands in genres like grunge, indie, and progressive rock, Christian alternative rock was a defining part of the music scene in the 1990s thanks to the formation of Christian rock record labels gave Christian alt-rock bands like Starflyer 59, The Prayer Chain, and Third Day the ability to reach a mainstream audience.
For Christian millennials, the wide range of Christian alt-rock bands that emerged in the '90s allowed a freedom to explore subculture and identity with their friends who weren't in the church. Artists Newsboys and dc Talk had an approachable, pop, crossover appeal that meant your parents wouldn't mind if you listened to them, and neither would your non-church friend. Meanwhile, bands like Underoath let '90s kids enjoy heavy rock and Jesus at the same time.
We've put together a list of some of the best '90s Christian alternative rock acts, but if we're missing one be sure to add it to the list and vote up the best Christian alt-rock bands and artists of the 1990s.
- Switchfoot is an American rock band from San Diego, California. The band's members are Jon Foreman (lead vocals, guitar), Tim Foreman (bass guitar, backing vocals), Chad Butler (drums, percussion), ...more
- Poor Old Lu was a pioneering alternative Christian band based in the American Northwest. The band experimented with a variety of sounds and genres, particularly grunge, funk and psychedelic rock. The ...more
- 3Common Children was a Christian alternative rock band composed of Marc Byrd, Drew Powell, and Hampton Taliaferro. The band recorded three studio albums between 1996 and 2001. The first two, Skywire ...more
- The Prayer Chain was a 1990s Christian alternative rock band. The band has been called "the epitome of the Christian underground". The Prayer Chain was known for producing moody, angst-ridden music ...more
- Altar Boys were a Christian punk rock band from California, formed in 1982. They are Mike Stand, Jeff Crandall, Steve Pannier, Mark Robertson, and Ric Alba.
- Bleach is an American Christian-rock band based in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Third Day is a Christian rock band formed in Marietta, Georgia during the 1990s. The band was founded by lead singer Mac Powell, guitarist Mark Lee and former member Billy Wilkins. The other band ...more
- Starflyer 59 is an alternative rock band from Riverside, California that was founded in 1993 by Jason Martin, brother of Ronnie Martin of Joy Electric. While Jason Martin has written nearly all of ...more
- Strength, I Am a Stranger in This Place: An Experiment in Vibe, Demonstrates Plastic and ElasticThe Violet Burning is an independent American rock band based in Boston, Massachusetts. The band was formed in 1989 in Orange County, California by Michael J. Pritzl. The band is the project of ...more
- David Crowder Band was a six-piece Christian rock and modern worship band from Waco, Texas. Their final album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Christian and No. 2 on the Billboard 200 charts. They ...more
- Dakoda Motor Co. is an American Christian rock band.
- The Choir is an atmospheric Christian alternative rock band, led by Derri Daugherty on guitar and vocals, Steve Hindalong on drums—who also writes most of the band's lyrics—along with Tim Chandler on ...more
- Tiffany Arbuckle Lee, better known by her stage name Plumb, is a songwriter, recording artist, performer and author. Plumb has sold more than 500,000 albums and over two million singles worldwide, ...more
- Thousand Foot Krutch is a Canadian Christian rock band formed in 1995. They have released eight albums. They have also released one live album and two remix albums. Singer Trevor McNevan and drummer ...more
- Adam Again was a rock band founded and led by vocalist Gene Eugene, with Riki Michele on vocals, Paul Valadez on bass, Jon Knox on drums, Greg Lawless on guitar. Dan Michaels often played ...more
- Model Engine was an alternative rock band based in Santa Barbara, California. Prior to 1997 the trio, consisting of Jeremy Post, Brad McCarter and Brent Nims were known as Black Eyed Sceva. Confusion ...more
- Sanctus Real is an American Christian rock band formed in Toledo, Ohio, in 1996. The group is composed of Matt Hammitt, Chris Rohman, Dan Gartley, Pete Prevost, and Mark Graalman. The band is best ...more
- Lifesavers Underground was one of many Michael Knott projects. The band formed in 1986 and combined elements of an earlier Knott project called Idle Lovell and LSU's sunnier alter ego ...more
- Skillet is a Christian rock band formed in Memphis, Tennessee in 1996 and based in the United States. The band currently consists of husband and wife John and Korey Cooper, along with Jen Ledger and ...more
- Vector is a rock band formed in Sacramento, California in the early 1980s by Jimmy Abegg, Steve Griffith and Charlie Peacock. The band had several drummers over the years, including Aaron Smith and ...more
- Undercover is an American Christian punk band based in Fullerton, California, formed in the early 1980s by Joey "Ojo" Taylor and James "Gym" Nicholson. Through more than two decades and a few lineup ...more
- The Huntingtons are a punk band from Baltimore, Maryland which formed in 1993-1994 in the Maryland/Delaware area by Cliff Powell, Mike Holt and Mike Pierce. The band is heavily influenced by The ...more
- Brother Is to Son, A Prayer for Every Hour, Tell Another Joke at the Ol' Choppin BlockDanielson is an American rock band from Clarksboro, New Jersey, that plays indie pop gospel music. The group consists of frontman Daniel Smith and a number of various artists with whom he ...more
- Johnny Q. Public was a Christian alternative rock band from Springfield, Missouri. Although their sound was wholly modern, it was influenced by bands such as Led Zeppelin and Cream. In addition to ...more
- Rose Blossom Punch is a post-grunge/alternative rock band from Seattle, Washington. It was formed in 1995 by Aaron Sprinkle and Paul Mumaw, with Poor Old Lu bassist Nick Barber and guitarist Terry ...more